šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kaye J

Has anyone used these chews as prescribed by their veterinarian? I just started using them and my 10 lb. 13 yr old dog has had a bad reaction to them. I am trying to see if my experience is isolated or if these chews are an issue. She had explosive bloody diarrhea, not wanting to eat or drink and then on fluids at the vet for 5 days. She is finally okay, but all her blood, urine and xray testing were fine as were her vitals. Once she was off food for 24 hours then slowly put on a bland diet, she has returned to normal. She has been on Fromm (I always review dog food on this site first and get a good quality for her) for the past five years with no problems. Any insight or help is appreciated.

#73597 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

They are beef….has your dog had beef food before?

#81343 Report Abuse
    Dena A

I found this post as a result of research on Virbac Hextra dog chews side effects.
    When I introduced these chews to my dogs, 2 out of 3 of them had horrible diarrhea the next day. And only gave them half the prescribed (petite) chew.

They eat beef and the same diet every day so I’m thinking it might be the enzymes in this product. I have spent a fortune on cleanings and dental health for my dogs but steam cleaning my carpets daily is not an option for me.

#81344 Report Abuse
    El

Here are some of the side effects from the active ingredient in these chews (chlorhexidine gluconate) in humans.

“Applies to chlorhexidine topical: compounding liquid, mucous membrane insert, mucous membrane liquid, topical dressing, topical liquid, topical pad, topical soap, topical solution, topical sponge

Gastrointestinal

In clinical trials, 56% of chlorhexidine oral rinse users had a measurable increase in staining of teeth, and 15% experienced heavy staining. Stains may generally be removed by conventional professional prophylactic techniques. Staining of rough areas may be permanent. Stains are general dark brown to blackish.

Staining will be more pronounced in the presence of heavier accumulations of unremoved plaque.

Staining due to chlorhexidine may be due to the interaction with dietary compounds such as coffee and tea.[Ref]

Gastrointestinal side effects have been reported the most frequently with chlorhexidine oral rinses. These have included staining of teeth and tongue, increased calculus formation, alteration of taste perception, bitter taste, burning, numbness, dryness, and soreness. Aphthous ulcer, grossly obvious gingivitis, trauma, ulceration, erythema, desquamation, coated tongue, keratinization, geographic tongue, mucocele, and short frenum have been reported rarely with chlorhexidine oral rinses. Gastrointestinal side effects associated with chlorhexidine oral rinses without oral hygiene measures have included increased gingival bleeding after gentle massage.

Parotid gland swelling has been reported rarely.

Gastrointestinal side effects associated with chlorhexidine cleanser have included a single case report of acute gastritis.

Gastrointestinal side effects associated with chlorhexidine cleanser enema have included a single case report of acute colitis.

Gastrointestinal side effects associated with the periodontal chip have included transient toothache (50.7% vs 41.4% placebo), including dental, gingival, or oral pain, tenderness, aching, throbbing, soreness, discomfort, and sensitivity.[Ref]

Hypersensitivity

Hypersensitivity reactions to chlorhexidine have included allergic contact dermatitis, pruritus, vesicle formation, urticaria, dyspnea, and anaphylactic shock.[Ref]

Hypersensitivity reactions have been reported after the use of products containing chlorhexidine as a preservative or devices coated with chlorhexidine, including allergic contact balanitis and anaphylactic shock.

Patch testing using chlorhexidine has revealed positive reactions in more than 2% of patients tested. In eczema patients, the rate may be as high as 5%.[Ref]

Ocular

Exposure of the eye to chlorhexidine cleanser, generally during preparation for facial surgery, has resulted in eye pain, edema of the epithelium, keratitis, inflammation of the conjunctiva, corneal epithelial cell loss, chronic corneal ulcers, and opacification. Corneal transplantation to correct permanent damage has been required in some patients.

Allergic conjunctivitis is rarely associated with the use of contact lens solutions which contain low concentrations of chlorhexidine as a preservative.[Ref]

Ocular side effects associated with chlorhexidine cleanser have included ocular toxicity.

Ocular side effects associated with chlorhexidine containing contact lens solutions have rarely included allergic conjunctivitis.[Ref]

Nervous system

Nervous system side effects have included cases of sensorineural deafness following direct instillation of chlorhexidine into the middle ear.

Nervous system side effects associated with insertion of the periodontal chip have included headache (27.1% vs 27.5% with placebo chip)

#81345 Report Abuse
    Kaye J

Thank you for all the information. We lost our little gal due to mitral valve disease a few months after this ordeal with the chews. I wish she had not gone not had to go through it. I know better now and going forward have left the vet clinic that sold these chews due to some other questionable practices.

#110530 Report Abuse
    Shelly L

I gave my dogs these chews. Not the Hextra but some from the same company. One is now on I.V supportive therapy and antibiotic treatment. She started Friday afternoon at the vets office. The other one came down sick late sat. Throwing up, bloody poop. Severe EXTREME.. can’t eat. No improvements are seen Euthanasia is looking like my option

#110577 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

So sorry Shelly.

#110617 Report Abuse
    a c

Itā€™s so scary and frustrating. Besides those chews, there are also almost daily recall of dry dog food, wet dog food, dog treats… and questionable dog chews. What can we safely feed our dog sons and daughters?

#113734 Report Abuse
    Martha W

My 3 year old cockapoo has had chronic gastroenteritis since she was a puppy. Her symptoms have escalated in frequency and drama: lethargy, vomiting, bloody diarrhea, seizures. We’ve switched her food several times suspecting allergies: from chicken to rabbit to turkey/sweet potato and now kangaroo! All food has been purchased through the vet. The one consistent thing in her diet has been CET Hextra Chews, recommended by the vet for oral hygiene. She hasn’t had one in three weeks, after the last horrible week long gastro incident. And she has been fine.
    I’m beginning to suspect that the chews have been the culprit all along.
    I think very highly of the vet we go to, but it seems reading this posting, some dogs just can’t digest the Virbac CET Hextra chews.
    Too bad, as she adored them.
    Now she doesn’t have any treats at all, which feels a bit cruel.
    If anyone can recommend a safe treat I would appreciate it.

#124763 Report Abuse
    Eleanor H

I just lost my second dog to anesthesia given for dental care. Different vets, different ages. I will avoid any further anesthesia. Am trying the CET Hexa and hhope it works. So far so good. I will never have their have a dog go through cleaning again. My.dogs would be alive today if I did not have that done. I have dachshunds who will not allow brushing, wiping, etc. Of teeth or nails. If these chews don’t work I need some that do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.