Boston Terrier with Allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Boston Terrier with Allergies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Andy B

We just received His Blood work back and hes Extremely allergic to sweet potato’s & peas. Also has to be grain-Free and rosemary free. Anyone have any ideas for me for a Dry Kibble? I was thinking about using a half raw diet from Darwin’s raw diet and a kibble mix. It is extremely hard to find a kibble with not having these ingredients.

#61165 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

Darwin’s is a great food. You could feed raw at one meal and kibble at the other. Also, there is a human-grade dehydrated food called The Honest Kitchen. Their Embark (turkey) formula meets these requirements. Here is the link to the food on the THK website: http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/dog-food/embark

#61169 Report Abuse
    Dori

Dog Obsessed. I think THK’s Embark has potatoes as an ingredient.

Andy B. The Honest Kitchen’s Zeal dehydrated formula contains no white potatoes or peas. It’s the one I feed my dogs in rotation with raw foods.

#61171 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

It does, but I think this dog is allergic to sweet potatoes, not white ones.

#61172 Report Abuse
    Dori

Shoot Dog Obsessed, you’re absolutely right. I missed the “sweet” part.

Andy. Forget about my suggestion for Zeal from THK. It contains sweet potatoes.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Dori.
    #61174 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

The two words are on separate lines, so it’s easy to miss.

#61175 Report Abuse
    Dori

I should have read her post more carefully as she was referring to ingredients her dog couldn’t have. Glad you’re on line to catch my mistake. Thanks, as always!!!

Sorry Lily’s having such a hard time. Glad the Medicam is working a little for her. Poor sweet girl.

#61250 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Both of Darwins duck have sweet potatoes; the others all have yams. Anyone know if sweet potatoes & yams are the same thing in relation to dog allergies?

#61251 Report Abuse
    Andy B

Thanks for your help. I called Darwins. They make a raw diet. They told me I can use everything they have except the duck, due to it having sweet potato. I’m learning a lot about dog nutrition after countless hours on the computer. I’d love to feed both my bostons a raw diet but it’s very expensive so I would need to use a 50/50 mix of raw and a good quality kibble. However my dog is extremely allergic to certain foods. I had a blood test done due to him having three seizures. I was feeding him at the time “natural balance” sweet potato and fish formula which had peas also in it. His treats were old mother hubbard peanut. That’s when he started having seizures at night. I had the vet do the allergy test and he’s exGood! I’m glad I did test. I wonder with everything we were feeding him if he was going in aniphilctic shock ( sorry don’t know spell) peas listed as the fourth or fifth ingredient. It seems I can’t find a kibble without peas, & Orijen is the only one having it toward the middle of there ingredients.

#61252 Report Abuse
    Andy B

Orijen Tundra Formula has peas listed as 17th ingredient.

#61254 Report Abuse
    stephanie b

My Bostons are allergic to sweet potato, green peas, barley and soy. Finding a good quality dry kibble is very difficult. Has anyone tried Canine Caviar? It is a holistic dry kibble with limited ingredients however it has garlic in it. Isn’t garlic dangerous to dogs?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.