Blue ridge beef

Dog Food AdvisorForumsRaw Dog FoodBlue ridge beef

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author

weimlove
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m thinking about feeding my puppy and adult dog primarily blue ridge beef products, as well as added veggies and vitamins. Anyone ever used blue ridge? Any thoughts? Thanks!

NectarMom

Is their meat grass fed? It makes a huge difference for dogs that are intolerant to grains. They had no prices on their packages. Are they reasonably priced? Slankers has grass fed meat.

weimlove
    Participant

Hi, yes it’s grass fed free range hormone and preservative free. It’s also very reasonably priced I can get chicken turkey duck quail green tripe and an organ blend all for under $2 a pound

NectarMom

Awesome Thank you! I emailed them asking about 4 days ago and never heard back from them. How do you go about ordering from them and since I have to watch the fat with my crew I need to know what the % is. Guess I need to call them. Do they ship?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  NectarMom.

Hound Dog Mom

NectarMom –

I don’t believe Blue Ridge ships but thedogmaonline(dot)com ships Blue Ridge products. I’m pretty sure they have a bulk variety pack with free shipping.

Hound Dog Mom

weimlove –

Are you giving raw another shot?

NectarMom

Thanks HDM! I will check that out even though I think it will be really hard to win over Hare Today :)

Hound Dog Mom

Hare Today is the best and they definitely have better prices than Dogma. Dogma is all big name brands so it’s pricier.

NectarMom

Yep I noticed that and the shipping was insane, to me anyways. I will stick with Hare Today since my gals love it and eat it good. Plus there are no Organs in the Venison from BR?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by  NectarMom.

Hound Dog Mom

Well their bulk packages have free shipping and I believe (this may have changed but this is how it was last time I checked) when you spend a certain amount of money shipping on frozen items is free. However, I think they jack up their prices to compensate. I’m not sure if there’s organs in the venison. I’ve never actually used any of their products I just remembered seeing them on the Dogma.

theBCnut

Many of their products have no organs and the ones that do are extremely limited, like only liver. I read what they had to offer a few months back and decided to take a pass.

weimlove
    Participant

There is a local pet store that will order it for me, which makes shipping free! I was thinking about going with something like primal, but it is SO expensive!! I am giving raw another chance, but I’m just going to feed blue ridge plus added veggies and calcium and rmbs a few times a week for their teeth. For me, feeding blue ridge is so much easier than buying whole chickens, large peices, etc. I made my first batch yesterday and shadow and sunny (my 3 month old vizsla devoured it!) they were both so bored with kibble, and their poop was so on and off…just after one meal of raw last night they both had excellent poops. Sorry for all the poop talk! Lol. But I’m hoping that this will work out, because it’s pretty convenient and I’m paying the same price per month if I were to feed a high quality kibble

gmcbogger38

I think Blue Ridge Beef is pretty decent if you are on a budget, especially if you live in the south where most pet boutiques will sell it, like where I work. I would mix the bone and muscle meat grinds with some sort of fruit/veggie dehydrated mix like Sojos or Honest Kitchen, or you could make your own mix. Most of their grinds, like mentioned above, do not contain organs. I think that is a little silly, but it is what it is.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  gmcbogger38.

dogGirl

This product is sketchy. The company is connected by family to a Lea-Way Company which is a collection facility for dead, diseased, and dying animals. Coincidence? Perhaps, but not likely.

The price is too cheap to be the quality they claim. The product also includes charcoal, which is used to absorb noxious smell and taste components. Furthermore, if you write BRB, their representatives respond with lies and anger to questions that could be answered reasonably and politely. The lies included a bogus USDA license number

No way, no how, will I feed this product.

Brittany Mom

Check out the address on line for Blue Ridge Beef and Lea-Way Farms, looks like the same address. I have a friend that feeds this, she’s trying to get in touch with them. Waiting for a call back.

dogGirl

Not only is the address the same, but the contact person is also the same: Steven Lea.

Check out the May 2006 planning board minutes from Iredell County if you want to know what Lea-Way does. The link between those 2 businesses is disturbing, especially for those of us who feed raw.

Brittany Mom

I saw that too. I also looked at the minutes from Iredell County. You can find out a lot on the internet if you just look.

CSollers

We are lucky to have this forum as a tool to obtain the best information for the health of our furkids.
    Thanks, Mike!

ECSGuy

I’ve fed Blue Ridge Beef products to my two English Cockers since June of 2013. I switched to a raw diet because of all the recalls and junk they put in commercial foods. I’ve seen no problem with the products, and my boys are thriving on it. I am also using SoJo dehydrated Veggies, fish oil and coconut oil as supplements.
    If I were to recommend one thing, it would be to buy Lew Olsen’s book on Raw and Natural diets for dogs. I’ve was using a vitamin and mineral supplement early on that had far to many minerals that the dogs really did not need.
    As far as the charcoal in the food is concerned, my dealer has checked on this. It is a law that any raw meat products sold as pet food must contain some charcoal to differentiate it from human food. Otherwise, due to the lower cost, unscrupulous people would buy it to serve in restaurants.
    I’ve seen major changes in my dogs health, including my older male who, even on high quality commercial food, would vomit at least once a week and had diarrhea off and on constantly. That is “all” resolved on a raw diet. My younger fellow runs agility and while he is a high energy dog, he lost his “rather odd” skunky smell that he had on commercial foods and his eyes no longer run constantly.
    Also, emailing Steve in North Carolina at Blue Ridge has always gotten me prompt and courteous responses. So not sure what Dog girl is taking about.

losul

ECS guy, your dealer is only telling you a part truth. The sole reason that certain meat leaving a USDA plant is denatured with charcoal, is because that meat has been condemned for human consumption, and denaturing severely lessens the chance that that condemned meat could ever make it’s way into the human food supply chain.

The denatured meat could be condemned because it’s 3D or 4D, contaminated with pathogens, excessive or forbidden steroids, hormones, antibiotics, other contaminants, etc. It’s not denatured because it’s going to make pet or animal feed, it’s denatured so it CAN’T be used for human food. Pet food manufacturers are free to use meat that leaves the plant and is sold as passed for human consumption, but some of them use the failed, condemned and denatured, meat-much, much, cheaper.

Also those pet food manufacturer’s that claim the meat comes from a USDA inspected facility really means nothing. Both USDA passed and condemned (failed) meat comes from and leaves USDA inspected facilties.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  losul.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.