🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Bev A

Bitty’s BUN was extremely high 3 months ago. I started the Nitrogen Trapping as Shawna suggested and it is working. Her BUN is still very high but it has come down and the creatinin is back where it should be. Thanks Shawna. I am continuing the Nitrogen trapping to hopefully bring it down further.
    So the Latest blood work has shown something new. Her Globulin level is high. And the Albumin level is low. I know teeth can be part of the trouble and she is notorious for her bad teeth, as tiny poodles tend to be. However at 14 we fear putting her out so are not addressing that problem. She has lost the majority of her teeth already. Her appetite has improved greatly, I am so happy to report. At times she doesn’t want to eat but I give her tummy meds and after a bit she will eat. No left overs, she hates that but she will eat. Her kidneys are holding up better and no more diapers. Yes! I am not aware of holistic vets around here but sure there must be. But are there suggestions on how to further correct the blood work? Thanks every, I love this site,

#103684 Report Abuse
    Bev A

I finally after all this time have Bittys Blood work close to where it needs to be. But now! She is almost 16 and is showing strong signs of dementia. She is deaf and blind and has been for about 6 months but has been doing well even with that. However last night it was like someone flipped a switch and she started extreme confusion. No seizures or anything , just confusion reigns. She paced the floor the entire night until around 4 AM and I put her in a small kennel to be sure she was safe and I could get some sleep. But the whole time she was in it she never sat or laid down, just walked circles. Finally about 2 this afternoon she seems to have worn herself out and is sleeping next to me. I give her canine renal support and acacia fiber plus goats milk and Kefir. But now I am wondering if there are any supplements that will help with the dementia. The vet says it is not due to her kidney disease and put her on antibiotics for possible urinary tract infection but is not one for supplements. She knows what I give her and when she saw the improvement in blood work agreed that Bitty should be on them. But it is not likely she will give me any suggestions on supplements for dementia. Help anyone? Thanks in advance.

#103685 Report Abuse
    anonymous

No, there are no supplements that will make a difference. I would ask your vet about prescription medication to keep her sedated and comfortable, especially at night.
    You may find this site helpful https://dogdementia.com/treatment/

#103686 Report Abuse
    Bev A

She talked about maybe putting her on Xanax. I will check out the site and thanks so much. She walks all night and then if I am lucky sleeps the majority of the day. I say if I am lucky because she is calm when she sleeps but of course it throws the night off. And she is so confused I cannot sleep while she is wandering for fear of where she might end up. So last night the kennel helped even though she did not lay down. But at least she was safe. Thanks again.

#103687 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I went through it with a 16 year old peke, it was a nightmare, they are up all night crying, toward the end I had to give him an antipsychotic, prescribed by the vet (similar to thorazine for humans) to calm him down.
    I could not leave him unattended for more than 10 minutes. It’s not easy.
    Food, frequent small meals throughout the day seemed to calm him a little. But at night, nothing worked.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics