🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Ryan K
    Participant

My dog has been on California Natural’s Kangaroo and Red Lentils. She has allergies and she is 13 years old and weighs 68 lbs. She has had allergies to Lamb and potato based foods. I want to get her on something different though since it seems like her allergies are back. I wonder if there is a food that is better for a senior dog that is free of potato and lamb?

#72108 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

ALSO…she is allergic to Tapioca.

#72109 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Nutrisca salmon and chickpea
    “Nutrisca is a high protein, natural dog food with added vitamins and minerals. It’s formulated without grains, potatoes or tapioca starch to align with a dog’s natural diet. Made with antioxidant-rich ingredients such as blueberries, carrots, cranberries and apricots, this recipe has all of the good stuff and none of the bad stuff. Give your dog something to look forward to at meal time”!

http://www.chewy.com/dog/dogswell-nutrisca-grain-free-salmon/dp/35031

I soak it in water in the fridg overnight prior to serving, also check out what Wysong has to offer.

#72111 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Orijen Senior would be a good choice. It offers the higher level of quality protein that seniors need while lowering fat a bit and increasing fiber. While any “all life stages” food would be appropriate, this is just one option. It’s far from the limited ingredient food you were feeding though and occasionally, when you have a dog with one food sensitivity, it’s not unusual to end up with more.

Here are the ingredients: Boneless chicken*, chicken meal, chicken liver*, whole herring*, turkey meal, boneless turkey*, turkey liver*, whole eggs*, boneless walleye*, whole salmon, chicken heart*, chicken cartilage*, herring meal, salmon meal, pea fiber, chicken liver oil, red lentils, green peas, green lentils, sun-cured alfalfa, yams*, chickpeas, pumpkin*, butternut squash*, spinach greens*, carrots*, Red Delicious apples*, Bartlett pears*, cranberries*, blueberries*, kelp, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, Enterococcus faecium.

Protein – 38 %
    Fat – 15 %
    Fiber – 8 %

#72114 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Ryan K-

Here is another option for you unless no potatoes means no sweet potatoes as well as white. My dogs do very well on this food. I copied and pasted the following information from the California Natural Website. Good luck!

California Natural Grain Free Pork Meal & Sweet Potatoes Formula Adult Dog Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.

California Natural Grain Free Pork Meal & Sweet Potatoes Formula Adult Dog Food is available in 5-lb., 15-lb. or 30-lb. packages.

Guaranteed Analysis:
    Name Value (units)
    Crude Protein (Min) 30.0 %
    Crude Fat (Min) 11.0 %
    Crude Fiber (Max) 5.0 %
    Moisture (Max) 10.0 %
    Linoleic Acid (an Omega-6 Fatty Acid) (Min) 1.1 %
    Vitamin E (Min) 300.0 IU/kg
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids* (Min) 0.5 %

Calorie Content:
    3601.0 kcal/kg
    431.0 kcal/cup

Ingredients:
    Pork Meal
    Peas
    Green Lentils
    Flaxseed
    Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Source of Vitamin E)
    Pea Fiber
    Sweet Potatoes
    Natural Flavors
    Salt
    Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Iodate)
    Vitamins (Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Folic Acid)
    Vitamin E Supplement
    Rosemary Extract

#72116 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

Thanks everyone!

I will look into the choices. I wish she would go for Orijen but every time I have tried her on it she turns her nose to it. Same with the Acana formulations I have given her in the past. She hates anything with fish in it. That has always been an issue for her despite my wanting to get those extra Omega-3’s in her system for her coat and skin.

The Pork and Sweet Potato might work. I wish there were more LID options for senior dogs with potato sensitivities. I always assumed she had a chicken allergy but I might try a chicken formula to test that theory out. 🙂

#72117 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

The Fromm 4 Star Grain Inclusives are clear of potatoes, and the Pork and Pea Grain Free as well.

#72119 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi maybe she has Environment Allergies & not has much the food intolerances, if you live America its spring at the moment & a few dogs are having a bad time, join this Face Book group “Dog Allergy International Group” & look in the files there’s limited ingredient foods with their links & there is Intradermal skin Testing video showing how easy this test is for dogs with Environment Allergies or there’s your Salvia & Hair testing kits for Food Intolerances & Environment triggers….. feed a protein that ur dog has never eaten before try a fish based kibble only fish no other proteins…
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogallergyinternationalgroup/

#72121 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Does that “Dog Allergy International Group,” still exist? I thought I found it once on Facebook and requested to join, but maybe never been approved. I can’t find it on Facebook at all and the links you provide are all to a secure page that can’t be accessed.

#72122 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

My dog that is intolerant of fish has always turned up his nose at fish foods as well, even long before I confirmed his sensitivity. You’re better off adding delicate Omega 3 oils to your dog’s food just before serving. The fats in fish based kibbles oxidize and go rancid more quickly anyway.

#72126 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

Yes, I have actually tried Fromm’s Pork and Peas formula with her and she wouldn’t even touch it. It shocked me. I have noticed that most other Fromm’s (even in the Four Star) use Potatoes in their ingredient list. I’m not a big fan of Fromm’s for either of my dogs. My Dachshund/Terrier mix will eat ANYTHING and even he hasn’t been won over by Fromm’s. I now stay away from that brand since both the dogs have never shown interest in eating the foods from them that I have tried.

I think it might be a combination of seasonal allergies for her though like Susan mentioned. She won’t stop licking and chewing at her paws and I am wondering if it’s just because she has been in the grass/yard more lately? I wanted to get her off the Kangaroo though just based on the price. It’s costing me an arm and a leg to feed her and my other dog (he’s on another food!) and I am curious if there are alternatives to that food that would be free of the potato.

Any thoughts on Natural Balance Legume & Wagyu beef? I only had one outing with Natural Balance and the potatoes in the blend I got were a disaster. That was around the time I was discovering her response to potatoes. The Wagyu beef food is free of potatoes but it seems to have a lot of starch. I’m not sure if the overall guaranteed analysis is good for a senior dog or not. I’m not sure what levels I should keep an eye on for a dog her age? Is the protein supposed to be higher or lower as they age?

#72136 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Have you tried Wysong senior? http://www.chewy.com/dog/wysong-senior-dry-dog-food-5-lb-bag/dp/50242?utm_source=bing-pla&utm_medium=cse&utm_content=Wysong&utm_campaign=f

or Nutrisca lamb and chickpea http://www.chewy.com/dog/dogswell-nutrisca-grain-free-lamb/dp/35037

Regarding environmental allergies: /forums/topic/nutriscan-results-suggestions/
    Frequent bathing with Malaseb might help…a lot of allergens are airborne.

#72153 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

My Golden has developed what I believe are seasonal allergies for the first time this spring. Our local Chicago weather-people tell us that pollen levels this spring are the highest in 20 years.

I’m getting ready to start my dog on Quecertin with Bromelain and Papain. I’m already using coconut oil and algae oil (the best I can do for Omegas since my guy can’t have fish oil). All help with seasonal allergies.

#72160 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Did you know that Enzymes are given to dogs with allergic skin disease, enzymes remove chemicals that cause inflammation, redness of the skin and itching..
    http://www.petcarenaturally.com/articles/enzymes.php#top

#72194 Report Abuse
    MaggiesDad

You might also want to check out Allprovide’s Senior food: http://www.allprovide.com/senior-blend-with-vegetables-enhanced-formula-complete-senior-dog-food-4lbs/ – the ingredients are listed as:
    INGREDIENTS – Fresh chicken (USDA – Grade A), beef liver, butternut squash, carrot, broccoli, green kale, beef trachea (Natural Source Glucosamine), beef kidney, sprouted organic adzuki bean, sprouted organic mung bean, milled flax seed, milled organic whole brown sesame seed, salmon oil, organic coconut oil, sea kelp powder, oregano leaf, organic turmeric root, wheat germ oil (natural vitamin E)
    They don’t use potato, grains, cereals or other fillers, and the trachea is a great source of glucosamine which can really benefit some senior dogs.

#72196 Report Abuse
    losul

Hi MaggiesDad.

Question about the beef trachea. Sometimes trachea, gullets/ ground necks, also include the adjacent thyroid glands, which can cause problems for dogs if fed often enough, hyperthyroidism, thyrotoxicosis.

Does allprovide see to it that the thyroid glands are not included in the mix? thnx.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1748-5827.2011.01189.x/full

#72197 Report Abuse
    MaggiesDad

Hi – I can confirm that only the trachea is used, with nothing else attached. The trachea tubes are purchased already sectioned so that only the centre pieces are ever used. We even stuff them with the food and freeze them so our dogs can have them as a meal treat (like stuffing a Kong but completely edible!).

#72198 Report Abuse
    losul

Thnx, MD.

Great idea for the treats!

#72199 Report Abuse
    MaggiesDad

Yeah, they work really well in the warm weather and keep the dogs occupied for ages…
    If anyone wants to give the food a try, Allprovide do a starter box of 8 lbs Chicken complete food for $15.20 with free shipping, but will swap that out for 8 lbs Senior food if you ask 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.