šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jason C

Hoping for a little help…..I’m the proud owner of a 10 month old Bernese Mountain Dog that lives up to his nickname of Meathead. He is currently about 105lbs, but based off vet recommendation and finances he has been fed with Hills Science Diet Large Breed Puppy formula. He hasn’t had any problems with the food, but I’ve heard a lot of people questioning Hills. I feed my other dog (60lb mix) a homemade diet (for wt control and because she’s picky) and think I may start transitioning Rufus to the same. The current recipe has pork, beef, chicken, oats, rice, veggies, and egg shells. Does anyone out there have a good recipe for a larger breed? Preferably something that isn’t going to result in me being homeless. Thanks for the help!

#92680 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“He hasnā€™t had any problems with the food, but Iā€™ve heard a lot of people questioning Hills”.

Are these people veterinarians? Have they examined your dog? Do they know his history?
    Why not just add a little something (protein source) to his kibble and see how it goes. Half kibble, half homemade? If he is doing well on the current kibble, I would continue to use it as a base.

#92683 Report Abuse
    Acroyali

Do you have a large freezer? If so, buy in bulk and stock up. Talk with any local farmers, butchers, or hunters about getting scraps; a farmer nearby us raises pastured meat and gives us a lot of hearts, liver, and things like wings, necks, etc, that don’t sell well. A butcher shop I use will sell a lot of stuff pretty cheap if we buy in bulk; they also have year-old venison, etc that hunters have processed but never pick up.

As far as Hill’s goes, I’m not a huge fan, especially for the price.

#94565 Report Abuse
    momofGSDs

Hills is a crap food, and vets who know squat about nutrition will recommend it. Also owners need to just worry about the food and not the size/Breed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.