šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kirsten

Hi
    I am going to be picking up my chocolate lab in 2 weeks, he will be 8 weeks at the time. The breeder feeds and recommends Nutro max puppy. I really want to give my pup the best chance at a healthy life. Does anyone have any recommendations?

#32700 Report Abuse
    JASTECH

Congrats on choco Lab puppy! BARF would be the best of best. If you choose to go the kibble route then at least a 4 star kibble, better yet 5 star. I add warm water to the kibble and let them soak up a bit. This will stop the dry kibble bloat (DKB) which not only makes your dog look like it swallowed a turtle whole but is not comfortable for the dog and can harm them.

#32716 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Kirsten,

Because yours is a large breed puppy, you should visit this thread and read some of the great information that Hound Dog Mom shares about large breed puppy nutrition and in particular, the need to feed them appropriate and controlled levels of Calcium. /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

Here’s HDM’s list of recommended foods for large breed puppies: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1. This list is the best place to start when choosing a food. It includes grain-inclusive, grain free and species appropriate raw like Jastech mentioned.

Another important thing to remember is to keep a large breed puppy lean (rolly poly puppies may be cute, but they’re not healthy) and avoid over-exercising him during his growth period.

Congrats on the new pup!

#32722 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

If you haven’t watched this video yet, you’ll find it helpful. /choosing-dog-food/karen-becker-choose-dog-food-1/

#94809 Report Abuse
    Kevin Davies

There are various types of dog and puppy foods out here. You can choose to feed your dog dry dog food, canned dog food or natural food. It all depends on your discretion as a puppy owner and also your dogā€™s needs.

Like humans, dogs are all different. So what works for one puppy might not work for another and what tastes good to one puppy may not taste good to another. Luckily, there are enough choices on the market for you to chop and change your dog food, until you find the right one.

It is also vitally important that you do research on the breed of your puppy and give him dog food accordingly. Each breed has its own unique genetic makeup and some breeds are pre-disposed to certain diseases and medical conditions.

So if you know that your Lab has more body fat than muscle and is prone to obesity, you will invest in puppy food that is low in fats and carbs but high in calcium and fiber. This ensures that your puppyā€™s diet is complete, balanced and nutritious enough to keep him happy and healthy.

Read more at https://petloverguy.com/best-puppy-food-for-labs/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.