🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Michael G

I have a 19 week old male Golden Retriever puppy. He is lean and healthy. I have him on the Hovan Slow Grow diet plan. Ms. Hovan specifically said to switch him on an off of Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food and Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy Food. I would like to know if any knowledgeable members agree with this or would suggest another food for him. I am looking for the best way to keep him healthy and active for as many years as possible. This can be tricky for Golden Retrievers. Any knowledgeable help given is much appreciated! Thank you!!!

#49479 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Check out the large breed puppy thread: /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

#49480 Report Abuse
    Michael G

Hound Dog Mom,

Thank you very much for your reply. I had already checked out that thread, but was wondering if anyone had any answers specific to my dog and questions. I would love to hear from you on this!!! Thank you!!!!!

#49488 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Short answer: I wouldn’t use either of those brands.

Switching in and out is definitely good, but you need to make sure it complies with the proper calcium levels. HDMs most recent document is on page 15 of that thread, and pick a few things off that and rotate through there

#49489 Report Abuse
    matt n

I suggest looking through the thread the others are suggesting. That’s what I’ve had to do with the absence of response to my own questions.

I might be wrong but these are the conclusions I’ve drawn for what to feed my puppy (poodle/GR mix).

A raw food diet is probably the “best”…if you have unlimited funds. For myself, I tried to find a balance of affordability, healthiness, and convenience. As a result I’ve narrowed it down to these dry foods…

Annamaet Grain-Free Aqualuk
    Annamaet Grain-Free Salcha Poulet
    Dr. Tim’s Kinesis
    Dr. Tim’s Kinesis Grain-Free
    Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch
    Earthborn Holistic Meadow Feast
    Nature’s Variety Instinct
    Victor Select
    Wellness CORE Grain-Free Puppy

I’ll eventually try all of these and see which my puppy does best on. If that’s too much trial and error for you, I’d go with Dr. Tim’s Kinesis.

As far as I can tell, grain free vs grain inclusive usually only matters if your pup has issues with grains or if you’re into the “fads.”

But once again this is just my observations from perusing the forums.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 8 months ago by matt n.
    #49491 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi Michael,

Did you look at the list of approved foods on the LBP forum? Hound Dog Mom put it together after she specifically researched foods with Calcium levels that were appropriate for large breed puppies. All of the foods on the list are four and five star.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwApI_dhlbnFTXhUdi1KazFzSUk/edit?pli=1

#49493 Report Abuse
    Michael G

I did access this thread and found the suggested information. Thank you for the help!

#49494 Report Abuse
    Michael G

Matt, thank you. Are any of these specifically for large breed puppys?

#49495 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

It doesn’t matter so much if it’s specifically a large breed puppy food or not. As long as it has the AAFCO profile for growth and hits the necessary nutrients (specifically calcium) they are noted as acceptable. In fact, many LBP foods AREN’T appropriate for what they are aiming for. All of those Matt listed would work for your golden pup

#49501 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

If you’re specifically interested in the foods that Matt listed, I would double check them against the list I gave you the link to as not all of those he listed have appropriate Calcium levels for a LBP.

#49505 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I didn’t double check, thanks Betsy 🙂

so to edit my post: any of them matt listed but are on the list, would be good options

#49523 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

Hi Michael,

I’d never head of that plan before. Interesting that she recommended those two brands. I’ve always had Labs and used to show them. My show pal showed Mastiffs. I’ve raised my pups on Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy and she used Eukaneuba LBP.

When I attended a Mastiff national specialty I asked each breeder I saw what food they recommended for Mastiff pups. Each one said Eukaneuba LBP.

The Lab breeders I got my pups from and others I knew from the show circuit all used Pro Plan.

Interesting that this plan rotates between these two brands.

I’ve always had good results with Pro Plan.

#49525 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t think much of those two foods; IMO there are much better foods for a similar price. I urge you to use foods on HDM’s list.

#49527 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I agree with Inked Marie. The foods on HDM’s list are much better than Eukanuba or Purina. I wouldn’t use Purina anything, even if you paid me to.

#49624 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Hi Michael, I would pick 3 or 4 from HDM’S LBP list. My dogs do great on Victor, Earthborn, Dr. Tim’s GF. Check her list for specific formulas, that are LBP appropriate. 🙂

#59067 Report Abuse
    Michael G

My puppy is now 8 months old. I have had him on Dr. Tim’s Kinesis for two months. He loves it. His stools were runny for a couple weeks at the beginning and for a couple weeks a month into it. As he is almost through his supply I am looking to switch foods. I am thinking of trying Victor Select Lamb Meal and Brown Rice with Chicken Meal, 40-pound next. Three questions…

Does this Victor Select sound like it will be a good selection for him?

If so, where would be the best place online to find it for the best price?

To what age would this diet be appropriate for him?

Any help is much appreciated!!! Thank you!!!!!

#59125 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Michael did his poos finally firm up?? If not, maybe pick a kibble with a bit lower protein% & fat% then Dr Tims, it may be too rich for his stomach/bowel causing the runny poos…
    Also when adding a new food, do it over 7-9 days still adding his old food, so it wont cause any runny poos..add 1/4 cup of the new kibble mixed with his old food for 2-3 days, then 1/2 cup new mixed with old for 2-3 days etc…

#59189 Report Abuse
    Michael G

Susan,

Yes, his stools have firmed. I am going to try him on Victor Select Chicken next, which should be a little lower protein and fat content. Thank you for the suggestion.

Mike

#84260 Report Abuse
    Ed W

Has any one tried Acana Puppy Large Breed Formula . I would like to here back on any ones thoughts . Thank you Ed .

#110966 Report Abuse
    Norbert S

Hi
    I recentley read this top 11 best doog food for golden retrive list on the following website.I hope its help.Good luck.
    http://topelevenreviews.com/dog-food/

#111911 Report Abuse
    Dias Kernel

Hi
    I read many helpful topic on the following website, I hope its help
    http://allshared.net/

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.