Best Grain-Free high fiber to help with anal gland issues?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Best Grain-Free high fiber to help with anal gland issues?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan K
    Participant

Does anyone know of a great dry food that has helped their dog with anal gland issues? My 5 year old terrier mix has suddenly become prone to his sacs filling up and bothering him and I want to get him on a diet that will help relieve some of those symptoms. I know Acana has a high fiber count but he really hasn’t liked any of their food as well as the price being a little steep. What other grain-free (he has allergies to chicken) dry foods have pretty high fiber count (over 4%)? Please help! 🙂

#67997 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Just look at weight management kibbles they have higher fiber to fill the dog more….. “Wellness Core” Ocean formula has 7% fiber & no chicken or chicken fat or the “Wellness Simple” Salmon & Peas has 6% fiber & no chicken or chicken fat here’s the Wellness link to have a look.. http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog&ft=1#complete

#68035 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

Thank you! I forgot to mention though that he has a sensitivity to potato in his food as well. I have to avoid it due to yeast issues he has. Whenever I put him on a food with any potato he gets yeast infections in his ears. Cutting that out has helped immensely. So, the Wellness line wouldn’t work as they use potato in most formulas. 🙁

#68037 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

How about Nutrisource? Most of their formulas are higher than 4%. I’m feeding California Natural Pork and Sweet Potato to my pups right now. It has 5% fiber. Is sweet potato OK?

#68042 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

Hi crazy4cats! I have honestly just stayed away from anything with potato period. I took my vet’s advice and just avoided potato in general. I don’t know if Sweet Potato causes the same reaction as a standard white potato with yeast? It might be something I have to experiment with. :\

My older dog actually eats California Natural Kangaroo and Red Lentils and my little guy (the problem pooch!) LOVES it and always wants to get at it but it just doesn’t have enough fiber and the protein is so low in that formula. I give it to her because of her age and her allergies. She does great on it. I wish there was more fiber in it though so I could feed them both the same food. That would save on my pet-food cost a lot.

#68045 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Ryan K:
    Have you tried adding a fiber supplement to a food?

#68048 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

No, I haven’t tried that. I am such a forgetful person that I figured I would go to that route as a last resort if I can’t find a food that matches up to what he needs in fiber content. It’s definitely in my list of things to do if I can’t find that food though! 🙂

#68054 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

How was it determined your dog needs higher fiber to alleviate the issues he is having?

#68056 Report Abuse
    Ryan K
    Participant

The vet actually told me to increase the fiber intake in his food. She said to look for food with fiber over 4%. I told her that he was on a food with around 2% so that was why she told me to up it. No tests were done though. She said the increase in fiber would help with the anal gland issues as well as having them expressed when he shows signs of irritation.

#68063 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Just a thought here… one of my dogs has food intolerance issues and I always know that he’s come into contact with one of his problem ingredients when his anal glands start to smell strong. If your dog has food intolerances to chicken and potato, he may very well have other sensitivities you aren’t aware of that he’s being exposed to in his current diet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.