Best Grain Free Dog Food for Allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Best Grain Free Dog Food for Allergies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    christine p

My dogs are itching. What are the best grain free dog foods for allergies?

#60581 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Where do you live? They may be itchy due to dry skin from heat being on. Have you checked for fleas? Itchy dogs don’t automatically say allergy to me.

#60877 Report Abuse
    Rose T

I just joined this site. I have a six-year-old parti-color cocker. He has a genetic disorder now in remission where stress occasionally causes him to not make enough red blood cells. Right now he is healthy.

He developed a sensitivity to chicken-based dog food. We had been using weight-management Artemis because our dog had to be on Prednisone for extended periods — and that caused some weight gain, but he was always hungry all the time — and that weight-mgmt. food had too many carbs. So we switched to Blue Buffalo grain-free salmon/potato for sensitive stomachs. He has been doing well on this food since May 2014. His weight has returned to normal. His coat looks great, and his demeanor is bright and energetic. He does produce quite a bit of stool with this food, but the stool has been normal.

However, having joined this site, I see that the recommendation is only 3.5 for this Blue Buffalo food. I don’t want to switch proteins on my dog, so I am thinking of gradually making a switch to the salmon versions of Horizons Legacy or Pulsar — both lines are made by a family-owned Canadian company and this site rates them as 4.5 and 5.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Rose Marie in Des Moines, iowa

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.