🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Zach M

If everyone here could feed around three “bonus” foods with their dogs kibble, which food would you feed? The foods could be fruit, vegetables, meat, grains, canned food, anything! I just want some input on what you guys would do 🙂

#68174 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Oh, and mine would probably be sardines, kefir, and parsley!

#68176 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Mine would be eggs, sardines and an organ meat such as heart. Yum! Lol!

#68177 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Oh I forgot about eggs! And that does sound delicious hehe!

#68183 Report Abuse
    Sandra R

Pumpkins, eggs, goat milk kefir

#68189 Report Abuse
    Carol W

Sweet potato (my pup loves it), salmon, eggs. I’ve been trying to eat clean lately to help reduce inflammation due to arthritis, and it’s actually working, so I try to give my pup whatever high quality food I’m cooking for myself and keeping the actual dogfood/kibble to a minimum. I always check, of course, to make sure it’s ok for dogs.

#68190 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Just 3?!?! OMG! This is hard! LoL.

I may have to say, almost the same as C4C’s – raw eggs (MAYBE with lightly cooked whites if I have a bigger dog in the future, but for Bruno it wouldn’t make too much of a difference so I feed the whole egg raw), canned sardines including their water/juices (mmmmmmm, Omega Fatty Acids… ), and RMBs (gotta keep the teethsies clean 😀 ).

But if I could include more, there would be raw virgin unrefined COCONUT OIL (sardines are probably better, hence they made the cut, as they not only have the Omega FAs, but are a meat protein, with some bone for calcium, if I’m lucky a little fish organ left in there too), yoghurt/kefir, goat milk, canned food, dehydrated/air-dried/freeze-dried foods (I’m squishing them in one category), raw organ meats (livers, gizzards, kidneys, HEARTS, tongue, green tripe, whatever I can get my hands on. Yes, I know the heart, the tongue, and the gizzard are muscles. I count them toward the organs.), various fruits and veggies as treats (not in the kibble), and as needed canned plain pumpkin, Perfect Form, and maybe plain brown rice and boiled chicken for extreme tummy upsets.

#68226 Report Abuse
    Zach M

Naturella, I know just three is hard! I have modified my list to canned sardines, eggs, and Kefir. And nice choices everyone!

#68253 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hey Zach-
    I’m curious why you have Kefir so high on your list? What do you think is the biggest benefit? Has it had noticeable improvements in your dog’s health or appearance? I’m just wondering if I need to add it to my list. I’ve added probiotics, but not Kefir. As a matter of fact, I can’t even seem to find it. Maybe I’ll try our new Trader Joe’s.
    Btw, I think this was a fun topic.

#68256 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Zach, yes, just 3 foods really was hard! But fun too, like C4C said!

And C4C, I’m not Zach, but I can remember reading somewhere that an experiment was conducted with people and multivitamin pills vs balanced whole foods and the experiment determined that people get more benefit from the whole foods (vitamin and mineral-wise) than from the pill version. I can try to find the article for reference if someone is interested, but I don’t remember where I read that off the top of my head.

Now, multivitamins are not probiotics and I’m not sure how that will go, and I know Kefir only has like 12-ish strands of probiotic cultures while pills have billions of active dried cultures and what not, but maybe Kefir is more enjoyable to the dog, and it is a natural, real food. But I am curious to see Zach’s response though. This is just my best guess, and I would more often than not try a whole food approach before I resort to pill versions. But I am really interested in the Swanson Soil-Based Organisms though! 😀

#68258 Report Abuse
    Dori

Sardines, blueberries and kale or broccoli. That’s if I was forced to only choose three. Of course I give them a lot more variety and……..I don’t feed kibble.

#68262 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

My favs, and I think Bobby’s too, are homemade broth, lightly cooked lean meats, and lightly cooked veggies from my garden.

#68328 Report Abuse
    Zach M

C4C, I just use kefir for the wide variety of friendly bacteria it contains. There are also some studies that show kefir fights against salmonella, and I supplement with raw so I feel if this is true it will help. Even more benefits include helping protect against allergies, helping the digestive tract, and defending against bloating and heart burn. I feel like there are noticeable differences in her health. And i am glad you like this topic guys!
    Nice choices too, Dori and Bobby Dog!

#68330 Report Abuse
    Zach M

I am sure somebody probably knows more than I do, and maybe they will come and give you even more info!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.