šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kayla M

We get to bring our new puppy home on March 9th and we want her to be on the best food possible. She is a female red merle miniature Australian Shepherd, when we bring her home she will be 8 weeks old. What foods do you guys recommend? We have two cats but this will be the first dog in our home. I have done a lot of research on cat food and nutrition and I know there are a lot of differing opinions out there on that (raw vs. wet, etc.) so I am sure it will be the same with dog nutrition as well. Should we feed her wet food? Dry food? Some type of raw/freeze-dried raw? A combination of these? Any recommendations you guys can make or great educational sites you guys can lead me to are greatly appreciated!

#82558 Report Abuse
    Kayla M

Note: We currently feed our two cats orijen dry food and merrick/tiki cat wet food, all grain free. I know both of these companies also make dog food, would these be a goof choice for our new puppy as well? Is grain-free a good way to go for dogs as well?

#82575 Report Abuse
    Becky A

I agree Kayla M. Orijen is the way to go! they’re a company based out of Canada and provide whole prey and fruits and veggies. When I got my second schnauzer I put him and his big bro on orijen and I couldn’t be happier! I mix their food with Honest Kitchen to add some extra oomph of vitamins, minerals, protein, etc.

#83279 Report Abuse
    David D

I just bought Evo salmon for my puppy. I thought it was puppy food. It has very high ratings. Is it ok if I feed it to my puppy it has a ton of protein and I heard that is really the only difference between puppy and adult dog food.

#83280 Report Abuse
    David D

I just bought Evo salmon for my puppy. I thought it was puppy food. It has very high ratings. Is it ok if I feed it to my puppy it has a ton of protein and I heard that is really the only difference between puppy and adult dog food.

#83287 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi David- There are differences between adult and puppy food, but puppy food being the only one with high protein is not one of them. Plenty of ALS and adult maintenance foods have high protein. The most significant difference is puppy foods have higher calories and adult foods mostly have too much calcium for a large breed puppy.

EVO Herring & Salmon is an adult maintenance food and therefore should not be fed to a puppy. I would return it for something that is ALS or a growth formula.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.