🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    SandyandMila
    Participant

For those who use bee pollen, which would you recommend? Currently I’ve been using quercetin, bromelain, krill oil, coconut oil, ACV and newly rooibus tea to aid Mila with her seasonal allergies, and I also clean her feet everyday day and tend to her hot spots but would like to try bee pollen. As soon as the nice weather hit along came allergy season. We were enjoying long walks in the evening once it was cool out but have been doing it less since her allergies have been getting worse. 🙁 Which bee pollen do you recommend, is it in glandular form, local? What would be the recommend dose for Mila (almost 16 months old and 50 lbs.)? Thanks in advance!

#20595 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi SanDnMila –

Bee Pollen is great! I frequently include it in my homemade whole food supplement blends for the dogs and take it myself. 🙂

Bee Pollen comes in granular and powder forms. You can also buy capsules. I currently have Honey Bunny Organic powdered bee pollen in my dog’s supplement mix (all my other ingredients are powdered so I find the powder easier to incorporate than the granular). I’ve also used Y.S. Eco Bee Farm and Springtime Inc’s C-Complex supplement (bee pollen base with vitamin c, bioflavanoids, hesperidin, rutin and carrot powder). If you purchase a supplement intended for dogs there should be dosing instructions on package, if you go with a human supplement cut the recommended dose in half.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #20597 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

I knew you would be able to help me with this. 🙂 Thanks so much, I’ll look into the brands you suggested. The quercetin with bromelain that I use is human grade and includes c-complex so I probably shouldn’t give bee pollen with those included also, right?

#20598 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Quercetin is a flavonoid. You can’t really overdose on flavonoids, excess flavonoids are just excreted in the urine. I would say the only risk with “overdosing” would be with green tea derived flavonoids which could get excessively high in caffeine (but this wouldn’t be what’s present in a supplement intended for dogs). I’m sure she’s already getting what she needs, as far as flavonoids, if they’re present in her C-Complex though so it wouldn’t really be necessary to add more.

#20604 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Would you recommend using bee pollen over raw honey?

#20605 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Regarding bee pollen, if you can find a local source, it works better than commercial. Local will have the pollens from the specific stuff that is bothering your dog. If she is having contact allergies, instead of just rinsing her feet you might want to rinse the whole dog, or well up the legs and the belly, if it is contact to grass.

#20606 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Also some dogs have issues is you add too much bee pollen to fast, so start with just a tiny bit and watch for reactions and slowly build the amount you give.

#20607 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

My dogs didn’t seem to like the honey added to their food, but they don’t notice the pollen granules. My JRT who has always had a weepy eye is now dry, the raw honey didn’t stop that.

#20608 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Yes I do that sometimes and use povidone iodine especially if she’s been at the dog park but i can’t rinse her down for a week or two she just got spayed on Tuesday. I’ll look into a local supply, thanks!

#20610 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant
    #20620 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Local is best, but it looks OK to me. Look in your local health food store first if you have one. Sometimes they jack up the price of stuff labeled for dogs, but it is the same thing.

#20621 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

I will search locally first.

#20622 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

There’s always local bee pollen at the health food store and sometimes at the feed store and at the local farmers market.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #20625 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Yeah, I just emailed them. I finally found Greek Gods yogurt there the other day and get coconut oil from there and where I also got the quercetin from there too. They also sell pet products.

#20627 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

I use Springtime, Inc. products a lot. I actually have some of their Bee Pollen (a 3lb. jar) ordered from the dog section (I got it free when I ordered so much of the other products). I haven’t used it yet, though.

#20628 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Free is good!

#20632 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I used to get tons of horse stuff from Springtime, then I got all my dog stuff free. They always have some interesting deals.

#20642 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’ve used Wholistic Pet Organics products in the past – as far as pet supplements go, I think they’re about as high quality as it gets. They’re very pricey though, you could get a human product for much cheaper.

#20646 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

I’ll look locally, if not I’ll buy one that was suggested. Thanks for your help.

#20651 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

HDM….Wholistic Pet is of my favorite supplements, too. I used to use their Joint Health for my Shih-Poo, Desi, who had both rear luxating patellas. I also swear by Springtime, Inc.’s Joint Health chews. He never had to have surgery, though he died younger than he should’ve from other things 🙁

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Mom2Cavs.
    #84340 Report Abuse
    paul s

The best bee pollen you can use is to find a local honey producer and see if they have a supply of bee pollen. That will contain your local tree, flower and plant pollen, which will be the best for you and your companion.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.