Bath allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Bath allergies

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ricardo V

Hello everyone, this is a first time post for me. Very informative site, and one I have used many times to check food ratings. However, my question is about allergies. Specifically, bath allergies. I recently noticed that my dog Tonks (Pitbull) has bumps after a shower. I am thinking it may be the shampoo but I have been using this shampoo brand for a while now and have only recently noticed the bumps. At first I could have thought that she was infested with ticks! That is how the bumps look, just as if there was a tick burrowed under her skin. Of course I checked her and she was flea/tick free.

I bathed her more often to see if in fact it was the bath and it came back sure enough after a bath. I have reduced her bath time to only once a week now. I plan on eliminating her current shampoo which is an Avo Derm shampoo and buying Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo for Dogs. Before I do that though, I just wanted to ask whether or not that would be a good choice for the problem I seem to be experiencing.

Lastly, I know many allergies can be attributant to the food as well, so I will mention that the food is Merrick Beef+sweet potate GF. I have noticed loose stools with this food, but I have noticed the bumps right after a bath which is why I never pegged it to the food.

On a completely different note, I am planning on switching the Merrick food out because she never use to have loose stool. I transitioned her for roughly 3 weeks, starting with a 75-25% ratio.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

#47139 Report Abuse

You are describing hives-an allergic reaction.. If it happens after baths, logic dictates that she is allergic to something in the shampoo. Stop using it immediately-its not something to be phased out as hives can hinder breathing etc. Why are you bathing her so frequently? Truly most dogs only require a bath every 4-6 weeks, unless very dirty from outside play. Bathing strips the coat of natural oils and will dry it out. Use a gently canine approved shampoo-no need for special allergy shampoo if the dog does not have allergy issues(which it sounds like she doesn’t, except to the shampoo 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.