šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lindsay S

What do you think of Royal Canine dog food? Have you ever analyzed it?
    I have two Basenji, 11 years old so I need a good food for senior dogs. One has sensitive stomach, the other tends to gain weight. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

#75446 Report Abuse
    Andy B

Lindsay,
    I have 2 brother maltese/pekingese mix that will be 14 in Dec. They are both on Royal Canin LP Modified Renal dry. This was from a vet’s recommendation and it has only been about 3 months. It cuts back their protein intake, although I mix a tablespoon of cooked chicken breast in with their meal as well as about 2 tablespoons of water. Also, I am still mixing Blue Buffalo Grain Free Wilderness Chicken recipe with it. I am going to switch to Orajen to mix with the RC instead of BB. (didn’t realize BB isn’t as good as I thought it was) Also, I have a 12 year old Italian Greyhound. She has an enlarged heart and the vet recommended RC Early Cardiac dry. She has been on that for almost a year. Doesn’t like the taste too well, but does finally eat it. Same program as the brothers with the chicken and water, but no BB. Both RC foods are vet prescription required. All dogs get a multi vitamin once a day and a cosequin joint supplement once a day. The Greyhound takes a cardiac pill called Cardial. She gets 1/4 of the tablet twice a day. They are all very active and no weight problem.

#75448 Report Abuse
    Lindsay S

Thank you Andy, this was very helpful. Have been feeding Wellness, but they poop an awful lot and it is very loose. Will switch to RC, my vet sells it so I will speak with them.

#75452 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Lindsay-

The advice above does not really apply to you unless you have a dog that has a certain medical condition, which a presciption diet may or may not address. A normal healthy dog can and should be able to eat a normal diet which would be high in quality animal protein, moderate to low in fat and very low in carbs.

If you take the time to review the ingredients in Royal Canin, you will notice they use a large amount of corn and rice as their main source of carbs/protein. The food contains no other source of animal protein aside from animal by-products. By-products are a normal part of a dogs diet, however I would call the company and question the quality of the by-products before feeding. E.G make sure they can tell you what part of the chicken they come from and are they human grade.

Around here RC is considered a low quality food with a very high price tag. If you head over to the review side of the website you can find many 4-5 star rated foods that are lower in price and higher in quality than RC.

Some I can recommend that I have fed that found my dog did well on were Fromm, Orijen, EVO, Pure Balance and I am about to get him Wysong Epigen.

I would absolutely NOT suggest ever getting food from your vet that you can buy in a regular store as well. The mark up is insane and you are paying a premium price when you don’t have to. A prescription diet and the regular RC formulas are different as one is vet only and the other is not.

Also vet’s typically do not have training in canine nutrition. They will tell you this. If you have concerns, seek the advice of an actual canine nutritionist in your area or at a local college. Vet’s will always recommend RC, Science Diet and Purina because it’s what they are taught in school are quality foods. They know little beyond that knowledge.

#75459 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I’ll also note that a senior dogs protein requirements increase and not decrease as many old-school vet’s will tell you. This has been found through much more current and up to date research. Restricting protein is not needed unless a dog is in very very late stages of kidney disease. Again, research has been done and others on this site with K/D dogs can tell you this.

Senior dog foods are often low in fat which is good but often far too low in protein. This means the carbs will increase and if you overfeed they can gain weight. If you have one that is prone to weight gain, fed high protein, moderate fat and low carb and cut back on how much they are eating and you will see them drop a few pounds. Do that until they are at their ideal weight and then increase food enough to keep them at the ideal weight.

#75466 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Pitlove is correct; senior dogs need more high quality protein & most senior foods have less. For your dog with weight issues, look at Wellness Core reduced fat and Annamaet Lean. I also second no vet food.

#75499 Report Abuse
    Lindsay S

Pitlove and InkedMarie,
    Thank you so much for help, I am learning so much re food. I feel more confident finding the right food for my to senior, active dogs. I will not buy anymore senior or weight management food for slightly chubby one. More protein should get his engery back and off the sofa….

#75504 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

One senior food I will recommend is Orijen Senior. It’s only of the only ones I’ve seen lately that is correctly formulated for a senior dog.

#75508 Report Abuse
    Lindsay S

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.