šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Erin T

I’m looking for peoples thoughts ideas and knowledge regarding lightweight high nutrient dog food for extended hikes.
    I have done some research regarding Honest Kitchen.
    There is a new food out there called Turbopup. http://www.turbopup.com/products.html
    But I’m unsure about it since there isn’t even meat in the bar.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Erin and Star

#45138 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’d suggest checking out some freeze-dried foods.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #45139 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I just checked out Turbopup. I’d never heard of it before. It claims that it’s interchangeable with regular dog food but I don’t see, based on the ingredients, how it could be complete and balanced. It wouldn’t be a bad thing to use short term for a hike or something just to provide a dog with an energy-dense snack or meal replacement, but I wouldn’t recommend it for long term feeding.

#45142 Report Abuse
    Erin T

I was interested in freeze dried but they take up a lot of space especially compared to dehydrated.
    Yeah the Turbopup is worrisome to me but I don’t know enough about how a dogs body processes food to know for sure if they can make use of the ingredients in the bars.

#45145 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Well it they contain whey protein which is a very high quality complete protein. Whey protein actually contains a higher biologic value (a measure of a protein’s effect on nitrogen balance – the higher the better) and protein digestibility corrected amino acid score (a measure of how well a particular protein supplies the nine essential amino acids) than meat or eggs. The ingredients honestly don’t look that bad. If it’s something you just want to feed for a weekend of backpacking it would be fine, it’s just I wouldn’t recommend feeding it as a meal for a long period of time.

#45159 Report Abuse
    Erin T

Thank you. I am looking for extended feeding options but it’s good to know I could carry a
    Couple of these with me as an emergency solution or for when I hit the 100 Mile Wilderness on the AT.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.