šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

I have 2 Shih tzuz, the female one is a fast eater and the male one is slow eater. I heard that for small dogs, Chicken legs/thigh are bad them because of the big bones on them. The female eat the meat first then the naked bone on the chicken.

Other than Chicken legs/thigh, what are good RMB for shih tzus/small dogs?

#77871 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

A word to the wise. Forget about it.
    Example: /forums/topic/rectal-issues/
    I stopped serving my dogs raw bones (or any bones) after 2 trips to the emergency vet due to them.
    Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

#77880 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I give chicken feet, duck necks and baby back pork ribs to my pugs besides chicken legs/thighs.

#77890 Report Abuse

@pugsmomsandy how about chicken necks?

#77891 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

They can eat those too. Two will chew, one swallows whole but they are small bones. My large pug swallows his duck neck whole too.

#77895 Report Abuse

Won’t they choke by using small bones?

#77899 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

Pet owners and veterinarians have reported the following illnesses in dogs that have eaten bone treats:
    ā€¢Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
    ā€¢Choking
    ā€¢Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
    ā€¢Vomiting
    ā€¢Diarrhea
    ā€¢Bleeding from the rectum, and
    ā€¢Death. Approximately eight dogs reportedly died after eating a bone treat.
    Above is an excerpt from: “No Bones About It: Reasons Not to Give Your Dog Bones”
    http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm208365.htm?s_cid=w_c_PetHealth_cont_001#1

#78050 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

None of mine choke on the bones. The one that likes to swallow, just swallows it down all the way and he still poops out little nuggets like the other two pugs that take their time. He just gets the small neck bones sometimes. It’s gone is 2 seconds. I do like to make their food as well so I grind up necks to use for the bone content and add muscle meat and organs. For a recreational bone, they get beef ribs or marrow bones which they can’t eat and gnaw on it for days. Once in a while I’ve given them whole quail too and oddly enough, no feathers in the poop. They also eat whole sardines about 6-8 inches in length. Sometimes they’re not thawed all the way so it’s more like a sardine-sicle.

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u651/pugmomsandy/pictures%20for%20posting/IMG_60801024x821_zpsad7d39eb.jpg

http://i1326.photobucket.com/albums/u651/pugmomsandy/IMG_7694_zpsb6950e88.jpg

#118639 Report Abuse
    Molly M

@Anonymous….

The “bone treats” to which you’re referring
    are not the same thing as raw meaty bones.
    Bone treats are processed, packaged foods.

#118640 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Yeah, I know that.
    Raw meaty bones are even more dangerous. Proceed at your own risk.

Make sure you have the nearest emergency veterinary clinic number posted on your fridg.
    I speak from experience.

#118641 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

Zombie thread. Never too late to spam a raw feeding subforum with scare tactics and misinformation.

Hilarious when one considers the number of dog’s killed by tainted dog food every year.

Why do the Admins allow such trolling?

Bill

#118642 Report Abuse
    Molly M

Amazing how canines and felines have survived for millennia, since their biologically appropriate foods are so hazardous. Lol

#118643 Report Abuse
    anonymous

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature

More Nonsense from Holistic Vets about Commercial Therapeutic Diets

(excerpt from comments below)
    skeptvet says:
    May 20, 2018 at 11:02 am
    ā€œNaturalā€ means being infested with parasites, suffering from malnutrition and dying young. What is ā€œnaturalā€ is not necessarily good. You are mythologizing a life you and your dog have never had to endure. This is called the Appeal to Nature Fallacy, and it is a common misconception now that most of us are so unfamiliar with what life without modern science and technology is actually like.

#118644 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

AAFCO rules allow for condemned animal parts, and those from dead, downed, and diseased animals (including dead pets) to be used in kibble, so long as the foul ingredient are first rendered.

It is hilarious that you are tying to suggest human quality food items that have passed USDA inspections are more dangerous than the vile ingredients legally used in dog kibble. LOL.

Please stop this nonsense.

Bill

#118645 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“It is hilarious that you are tying to suggest human quality food items that have passed USDA inspections are more dangerous than the vile ingredients legally used in dog kibble. LOL”.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/meat-preparation/ground-beef-and-food-safety/ct_index
    Excerpt below

Is it dangerous to eat raw or undercooked ground beef?
    Yes. Raw and undercooked meat may contain harmful bacteria. USDA recommends not eating or tasting raw or undercooked ground beef. To be sure all bacteria are destroyed, cook meat loaf, meatballs, and hamburgers to a safe minimum internal temperature of 160 Ā°F (71.1 Ā°C). Use a food thermometer to check that they have reached a safe internal temperature.

#118647 Report Abuse
    Spy Car
    Participant

Is it dangerous to eat dry kibble? It may contain harmful bacteria.

It also may (and almost assuredly does) contain ingredients that have been condemned by USDA inspectors and/or comes from dead, dying, diseased, or downed animals.

The laws allow pet-food companies to put dead dogs into dog food kibble for Cripes sake.

Many people get sick after handling kibble every year. Many dogs have been killed due to foul contaminants in pet “food.”

Dogs are not people. They handle raw food very well.

Please stop the nonsense.

Bill

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Spy Car.
    #118649 Report Abuse
    Mike Sagman
    Keymaster

Dog Food Advisor Comment Policy

We welcome respectful comments. Stay on topic. No politics. Posts in violation of our rules are subject to removal.

Please read our our Commenting Policy before commenting.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.