Anyone's dog allergic to PEAS?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Anyone's dog allergic to PEAS?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    somebodysme
    Participant

Every food that my dog has had issue with has peas and of all the ingredients I can only find that one common ingredient. Out of desperation, I bought a bag of Natural Balance LID potato and rabbit. It has succeeded in clearing up this rash she has had on her back ever since we began trying to feed her a “healthy” dog food. When we got her, she was on Pro Plan Savor Chicken with NO rash on her back. I actually thought it was from Frontline but then it never cleared up for months after and many baths later. Just now that I switched to this basically lousy food, is the rash vanishing before my eyes!

I’d love a food that had similar but better ingredients…try as I may, I cannot find anything. I fear mostly that it will aggravate her yeast condition though.

Have any of you had a dog break out in a rash from peas? Seems odd but I can find no other ingredient in all the foods. Maybe flaxseed except that it’s in the NB rabbit that is working so it’s not flaxseed.

#24161 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Peas are 25% protein, so why not? Makes as much since as anything.

#24174 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Grandma Lucy’s and The Honest Kitchen have some pea free foods. Also Great Life grain free/Pioneer Naturals. Here’s some pea free foods I had written down last year. I’m not sure if they’re still pea free:

Timberwolf
    TOTW Pacific Stream (canola)
    EVO red meats
    EVO turkey & chicken
    Pinnacle Peak (quinoa)
    Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance
    Natures Logic – millet, no potato
    Great Life
    Canine Caviar
    I and Love and You by OnlyNaturalPet.com

#24215 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

So far, ONE week on NB, all of her allergy issues are just vanishing before my eyes. First the rash on her back began to fade and now her feet are healing up. I’m so happy I could just cry! Everything I was doing trying to feed her a healthy food was WRONG and making things worse for her! Honestly I’m kind of POed right now about all the stupid ingredients they are now putting in dog food trying to appeal to us stupid humans! UGH! Our poor dogs are getting sicker and sicker because of it!

I also remembered a couple more foods that I’d given her and trying to time to when she broke out in a rash and sure enough, those foods also were pea carb based. I’m sure that my dog is not the only dog with issues from peas either. I hope others will experiment with getting their allergy dog off of peas just to see!

#24220 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

It sounds like you’ve food one great food for your dog, that along makes it a “great” food!

Do you guys think that peas have the same “profile” as garbanzo beans and lentils?

Hopefully you can find at least a couple of others to rotate with. The mere mention of potato in a food would cause yeast issues for one of my dogs.

#24224 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It would be the same as a dog that is allergic to chicken also being allergic to turkey. It can happen, but it shouldn’t be a foregone conclusion.

#24229 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Yes Betsy, I am worried about the potatoes too and yeast. I am feeding a probiotic twice a day. So far she is OK and isn’t stinking from yeast. That is the whole reason I did not want to feed potato in the first place is yeast. The vet said to feed her a novel protein and potato but I did not and now my dog is paying the price for it! At least now she is better. Taught me that maybe my vet might just know a thing or two! HA!

#24238 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Glad you found a food that works!

#24241 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

I’m cautiously optimistic at this point but very happy to see that darn rash on her back vanish.

#24650 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

She is still going great on the NB rabbit formula. No yeast problems and her feet are just about all healed up, they had gotten really bad. I am seeing still some pustules pop up then go away quickly which I am hoping is healing crisis. It’s only been just over 2 weeks. She really loves the food. Her ears were always more pink than they should be on all those other foods we’d tried but now they are just normal looking. I’m very happy she can eat without getting a terrible rash.

I’d love to see a list of PEA FREE foods! I’ve got my fingers crossed they don’t go do something stupid like add peas to this formula like they’ve done with some of their others. Why would they add peas to a LID recipe? Isn’t the purpose of a LID to have few ingredients to help dogs with allergies? I just wish they’d quit trying to appeal to the human diet and worry about feeding dogs!

#24654 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Something you may also be seeing on her feet. When they are inflammed for a long time they can start getting ingrown hairs that have to work their way out. Hopefully, if that is a problem it will right itself over the next couple weeks.

#24658 Report Abuse
    somebodysme
    Participant

Thanks Patty! DER…I never even thought of that! That makes perfect sense! Thanks for mentioning that! 🙂

#28048 Report Abuse
    mfulton7

I’m curious if the NB is still working for your pup? I’m pretty sure my pup is allergic to peas. So I am now searching for the pea free foods also. Any other advice is welcome also 🙂

#28051 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

No, the NB isn’t still working for her dog. She is feeding Purina Dog Chow now and quite happy with it.

#28785 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

Believe it or not, I think peas might actually be the culprit with Laverne’s issues. I am feeding TOTW Pacific Stream. It doesn’t have peas, or flaxseed. I initially thought maybe flaxseed was the problem, but I’m giving them Missing Link (more for Lucy’s benefit) now and Laverne is fine with it. It has flaxseed as one of the first ingredients. Every other food she has reacted to, even NV LIDs, have peas in them! I don’t know for sure, of course. But, here’s the rub with it, though……I give canned foods and many of those have peas as an ingredient!! Sometimes, though, her stools are still better than others. Maybe they’re the best when she gets pea free canned food, too. I’ll have to pay closer attention from now on. I’ll let everyone know. Hmm….

#28829 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I’ve got to imagine canned food with peas is much less pea heavy than a pea heavy kibble.

#28836 Report Abuse
    mfulton7

Since I switched my pup off of EB Coastal Catch she is doing great! She’s on the meadowfeast formula. I’m assuming the issue was with fish and not the peas. I’m also happy to report they transitioned just fine. So now I can start rotating foods 🙂 I’m so thankful for everyone’s help its truly appreciated!

#28838 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Congratulations!!

#29783 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

Yep….have one big guy here that is allergic to peas, white potatoes, venison, chicken and turkey. Confirmed by allergy tests by Spectrum Labs, which I highly recommend if you are struggling with food issues and skin rashes.

You’d think that I’d have an easy time of finding him a kibble? Nope. I have been doing ingredients research on every brand of food that is relatively easy to find…..shocking! Just because it states sweet potatoes……well, I keep finding potato gluten or white potatoes on the same list of ingredients. Or LID foods that list lamb or beef as the protein source with chicken fat in them.

So far, after two days of reading ingredients on websites, I found ONE kibble: Canine Caviar Lamb and Pearl Millet.

I’m currently feeding him raw ground beef mixed with Sojos Grain Free, and being careful about treats, which are mostly raw beef bone treats.

Really frustrating that the names of the food indicate limited ingredients, but they are NOT.

#29796 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Since dogs react to protein, chicken fat should not be a problem because the way they render it should make it pure chicken fat. Those foods might be worth a second look.

#29799 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

I would think that if he is allergic to chicken, that he would react to chicken fat, no?

#29804 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Allergies are to specific protein sequences, so no, not necessarily. I have a dog that can’t have chicken muscle meat, but is just fine with chicken livers. Chicken fat should not have any of the chicken protein in it at all because of how they process it. I’m not saying that it is impossible for your dog to have a reaction, but it is highly unlikely.

#29805 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

How about Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato?

#29818 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

I’ll check out the Pinnacle trout and sweet potato. Thank you!

#29819 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

I’m not sure how that works. I just know with my own allergies, that I can’t have eggs, chicken, and will react to down. I assume that the dogs are the same.

#29824 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Is your dog having true allergy problems or intolerance problems? True allergies are rare in dogs, hives, anaphylactic response, facial swelling, breathing issues, and dogs that have true allergies may be much more sensitive than dogs with intolerances, which are far more common. Intolerances cause generalized itchiness, intestinal upset, body odor, greasy coat, yeast infections, ear infections. A dog with allergy/intolerance issues can have generalized reactions to all proteins from a particular source, but is is still a protein reaction. And there are other types of intolerances that are to other things like MSG or chemicals, but they aren’t “allergic reactions.”

#29838 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

My understanding is that allergies and intolerances come from a mast cell response, much as it works in the human body. Can you please direct me to some reading material? Mast cell mediators include histamine. In the human, GI symptoms, itching, etc are all mast cell mediator responses. (I have mastocytosis).

I frequently see hyperactivity, too, as a symptom of food allergies.

#29845 Report Abuse
    theBCnut
    #29874 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

THANK YOU for the heads up on Pinnacle Trout and sweet potato! Not a single allergen, and it’s readily available in the stores!

BLESS YOU!! I just got word a few minutes ago that my boy is ADOPTED!!!! One of my favorite deaf dogs in the kennel! Now I just have to find them an easier way to feed him, as not everyone has the bandwidth to feed raw. (I’ll try with them, though!)

#29875 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

Thanks Patty, I’ll read up more. I did find the info on the Jean Dodds DVM website. She measures differently from serum, but I don’t see much that’s different. I’m a little perplexed, though, as the allergic response is still controlled in the dog by the mast cell, as it is in humans. In human medicine, the medical field doesn’t usually separate intolerance and allergies. They are all considered a histamine response, and that’s the same mechanism that activates in a dog, whether you are measuring IGG, IGA, IGM, or a complement cascade. Because I suffer from extreme histamine reactions myself, I’ve studied the mechanism in order to LIVE, as my reactions are downright life-threatening. Hmmm…..

#29879 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

In the veterinary field they SHOULD be seperating them. Intolerances are created due to an unhealthy gut and if the underlying condition is not treated then the dog will continue to have more and more intolerances. But unfortunately they usually just prescribe steroids for the itchy skin and do nothing else. It is usually up to the owner to educate themselves and figure out what to do to really help their pet.

Many vets don’t even recognize food intolerances for what they are. They may put a dog on Hill’s for a few weeks, but if the problem doesn’t go away they decide it must be an environmental allergy and they look no further. They don’t even consider that one of the nonhydrolysed ingredients in Hill’s could be a problem.

#29995 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

Agreed, but in humans, leaky gut can also be caused by mast cells in the GI tract releasing mast cell mediators (histamines, etc.). Mast cells are everywhere in the body. This would be the same mechanism in the dog. So why it’s termed an intolerance, rather than an allergy, more or less escapes my logic.

I do agree that the standard treatment of steroids and prescription pet foods is not sufficient. They aren’t even things that I would consider doing when trying to solve a dog’s issues.

#30046 Report Abuse
    Marylou

Thanks pug mom sandy I have a lab pit mix that has developed allergy’s at age 9 to Peas,Sweet Potato’s, Chicken Meal ext…… How it started he would not eat first thing in the morning he would want to go outside and eat grass and vomit. So after some testing at the vets, we put him on d/d Potato & Venison Formula which he is doing excellent on this food. However the quality is not good. So I have been adding different foods in with the dry food to see what he has an allergy to plus adding a little dry food to the food to see if he has a reaction or not. To say the least I have not found a dry food yet that agrees with him. I just feel awful for him. My poor baby.

#32014 Report Abuse
    Alsmom

My dog is allergic to peas, wheat, barley, corn and soybean. Finally we have this knowledge and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed pawing thru the pages of all the dog foods ( raw, dry, and canned ). A long list of foods came along with Tristan’s allergy report. Addiction’s dry Le Lamb and canned venison stew seem to fit his needs. I think I know where to buy it too. Is this an overnite transition or a slow half new and half old? For some reason I feel anxious about picking the right food ( recall issues etc. )
    If anyone out there has used the Addiction brand and types I plan to try…I would appreciate some feedback.
    Tristan is 7, we have him for a bit more than a year. He’s been scratching chin and neck since we got him. The vet gave some shots, changed his food twice …no improvement. So now that we know what he’s allergic too I am optimistic and so happy to think how much more comfortable he will be. Thanks u! Alsmom

#79438 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C

Does pea starch/protein/fiber have the same allergenic properties?

#79457 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Kathleen, yes pea starch/ protein/ fiber is from peas…..
    My boy cant eat peas he gets real bad wind pain & farts & when he’s sleeping peacefully he wakes abruptly & runs off the bed when he farts in his sleep, he must think he’s going to poo him self, its awful… when he eats a kibble with peas 2nd 3rd or 4th 5th ingredient the kibble is too pea heavy for him…. Have you looked at Earthborn Holistic Ocean Fusion ? it has no peas, no rice, no tomato pomace & no probiotics… http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas

#79466 Report Abuse
    Angeldogs
    Participant

I have found a high quality kibble that everyone can eat here. I have ten allergic dogs with a list of 15 allergens. Please keep in mind that all of our dogs have been allergy tested which makes things easier.

Dr. E’s buffalo limited ingredient potato and grain free kibble.

They are all doing very well on it. Have switched treats to Dr. Woofers vegie biscuits. They can also have the spaghetti and meatball flavor.

Don’t forget to read labels carefully on treat bags too!

Hope that’s of help to someone’s pup!

#85238 Report Abuse
    Michelle P

I found natural balance lid chicken. is.pea free..why does.every one keep.saying it’s a lousy food?…I’ve had great experience with it..and compared to benefil purina it has way better quality ingredients. .real meat no.bone fragments or.left over parts

#85239 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Michelle,
    Some msy think it’s “lousy”, I won’t go that far but it may be because it is Sweet potato and chicken….there is more potato in this than chicken.

#85793 Report Abuse
    kim b

My little poodle had developed allergies at about 3 yo. It has taken me quite some time to find out what he is allergic to and I’ve found the culprits are wheat, corn, soy, oats, peas and now I can add garbanzo beans. I hope I can finally get this issue under control. I now bake his treats from scratch and have found some yummy recipes on Pinterest which are comprised of coconut flour. He loves them. It’s difficult being a fur mommy.

#86782 Report Abuse
    suz h
    Participant

I have to say that after MANY years, MANY dog foods, many homemade recipes… We finally have found only ONE that actually has cleared up our precious boy. Part Pit, Part Beagle … Has been tested, but still new allergies showed up. So much $$$ wasted on this useless method, to also include the desensitization injections…

NOW: For months, he has cleared up that stinky, awful yeast, the horrific bleeding from scratching, and oily skin with dark patches. We tried medicated shampoos, natural remedies, to Prescription dog food (What a Waste), and finally Steroids, etc., etc.

It is: NATURAL BALANCE L.I.D. Sweet Potato and Chicken – I myself am completely shocked, as it has potatoes which i thought were part of the yeast problem. Nope…. A Miracle for us personally.
    NOTE: Per the report, he IS Allergic to: PORK, WHEAT, LAMB, BARLEY, BREWERS YEAST, GREEN PEA, AND Borderline is RICE. They did not test him for Trout, Sweet potato, Salmon

NOT ALLERGIC:
    FISH MIX= Catfish, Cod, Herring, Mackerel, White fish
    POULTRY MIX= Chicken, Turkey
    BEEF , RABBIT, VENISON, EGGS, MILK, SOYBEAN, CORN, PEANUT, FLAX, OAT, WHITE POTATO, KELP, ALFALFA, CARROTS, DUCK

BUT, he is highly allergic to DUCK, and Salmon makes him much worse as well. Go Figure…

#89323 Report Abuse
    Lynn R
    Participant

I usually feed Great Life dog food but lately it is difficult to get so I did some research and found 2 other foods that have the same ingredients and formulas. one is First Mate and it is on Chewy.com and the other is a small company called Sport Dog. these foods do not have peas and potato and have limited ingredients and look to be promising if Great life does not come back on the market.

#90701 Report Abuse
    Lisa H

I have a 16 month old lab mix who seems to have sensitivity to a lot of things…legumes seem to be a problem so does chicken duck and turkey I had him on natural balance LID fish and sweet potato but then we started with yeast issues and now constant grass eating and occasional vomit. I don’t know what to do for him. I give him probiotic every day as well as benedryl. I bathe him in antifungal/antibacterial to try to help the itching but I want to actually solve his issues not mask them. Can anyone help me find and affordable food that will ease my puppy’s issues.

#90702 Report Abuse
    suz h
    Participant

Hi Lisa H,

I have to agree with you regarding the LID Fish. We had the same issue..yeast developed. I ALSO must EDIT my Previous Post regarding the LID Chicken. He has gotten bad now.. I now wonder if they have added some sort of ingredient I am unaware of, or that simply he was cleared up from Medication, and we presumed the food was fine. He just gets worse by the day. This is so heartbreaking, isn’t it? To watch our pups suffer is just awful…

I just ordered the above mentioned by Lynn R. It is the Sport Dog (chicken). Our boy had issues with Duck as well.. Chicken ironically not so bad….or is it….. Ugghhh Good Luck

#90703 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, it may be the kibble your dog just doesn’t do well eating a hard processed kibbles some dogs don’t do well eating all kibbles….
    Your dog could be suffering from Environment allergies more then food sensitivities, with food sensitives your dog will have sloppy poos, even diarrhea, vomiting, rumbling, gurgling bowel noises, jelly poos, looks like poo & jelly, red paws, itchy smelly ears, red around his mouth from food, anal gland problems rubbing bum on carpet & grass…
    Have you tried cooking his meals elimination diet or tried premade raw diets instead of kibble?
    Your best to see a Dermatologist so they can work out what your dog is allergic too, is it dust mites, is he allergic to things inside the house or grasses, trees, plants pollens, is it food related ?

Have you tried “California Natural” Lamb Meal & Rice it has just 3 ingredients, no peas, no fish oil, just Lamb Meal , Rice & Sunflower oil, a lot of vet use “California Natural” kibbles
    or cook or feed pre made raw diet for has dinner & give the California Natural for breakfast…
    When they have allergies the only thing you can really do is bath weekly or the days they’re real itchy bath to wash off the pollens & allergens on their skin, find a food that agrees with them & work out what is causing their allergies..

#90705 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi suz-

There is one major overwhelming problem with OTC limited ingredient foods and that is that when tested almost all contained trace amounts of proteins not listed on the bag due to cross contamination. Most companies, especially smaller companies, can not afford and do not shut the plant down to clean the machines between runs. So when you mention added ingredients that aren’t listed on the bag, this problem of cross contamination comes to mind.

#90722 Report Abuse
    Lisa H

Thank you all for responding. I have not tried California’s Natural but I will look into it. My only concern is the rice. With yeast issues I am supposed to steer clear of starchy foods. Suz H it is terrible to know he is not feeling well and I don’t know how to help him. Im sorry you are goijg through it too. I know they need the starches to hold the kibble together so maybe Susan was right in saying that I need to move him to a different type of prepared dog food or start making my own. There are some brands i wouId like to try but cannot afford $100+ bags of dog food. I have tried eliminating foods and everytime I think I have figured it out a few months pass and we are back to square one. I will keep trying to find things in my end and if I have any luck I will post to forum in the hopes it helps someone else.

#90727 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Lisa, with yeasty dogs the dog starts scratching & gets real smelly of yeast only when the dog is sensitive to a certain ingredient in his diet, or he can be allergic to something in the environment as well, so it makes it really hard to pin point what the dog is sensitive too & is making him smell awful & itch.. I always thought the same its the high starchy carbs making my Patch itch & smell then I later learnt its the starchy carbs my dog is sensitive/allergic too that makes him smell & get real itchy… High carb diets aren’t the best & yes try to find a kibble that’s around 40% & under in carbs, a dogs digestive tract is short & made to digest a raw diet…
    I feed “Taste Of The Wild” Sierra Mountain Roasted Lamb it only has 38% carbs. My boy seems to do really well on the TOTW Lamb kibble..

When my dog eats oats, barley, chicken, corn meal, carrots & probably other grains I don’t no all of them yet, that’s when he starts to smell within 2-3 days of eating the kibble… When he eats a kibble with just rice & fish he does real well, I was surprised, I always try to buy a kibble from a pet shop, so if I need to return it to get my money back its easier then buying online & having to pay for the delivery back to the online store, then while I’m at the Pet Store I can try another kibble….
    If you can cook or do a pre-made raw then that’s the healthiest diet to feed, have a look at “Balance It” there’s recipes on their site you fill out the questionnaire, what health problems your dog or cat has, then recipes will come up for your dogs health problem & you add the “Balance It” to balance the diet..
    https://secure.balanceit.com/

#140288 Report Abuse
    Jerrie S

95Yes
    Mine is allergic to everything
    I actually had an allergy test done to try and figure out what was going on

He is allergic to beef chicken vesison salmon and peas and corn wheat milk

I have only been able to find one dry and one wet food
    The Earthborn Holistic dry Alaskan pollack formula and the wet food K95 with Turkey it is also Earthborn Holistic
    Neither of these have peas or an of the other stuff mine is allergic to.
    I have to make his treats try finding a treat without wheat I just make little balls of his wet food and keep in the fridge.

Good Luck

if you can afford it I couldn’t but had to do it get the allergy test at least you will know for sure I was pretty sure ours was environmental for the most part and that is all they can desensitize them to but at least if you know the food allergy you know what to look for.

it is very hard to find anything without peas if you do please let me know

#143769 Report Abuse

I have been fighting allergies with my bulldog for 3 years. He is allergic to chicken, peas,potatoes etc. I just found a food American natural premium Turkey and pumpkin has no legumes no chicken corn etc. It is 56 dollars for a 33lb bag. My dog has been on it two weeks and I am already seeing a difference.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.