Antler Overload?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Antler Overload?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Naturella

Hey, all!

As many of you know, antlers are a household favorite in our home, and Bruno loves them to bits. However, I wanted to ask… He’s gotten really fast with them suckers! Before, a 10cm (5-inch or so?) antler would last him a month, and I gave him his December antler yesterday… and now between 1/3rd and 1/2 is gone! I mean, woah! He was really working hard on it last night and maybe it was just a softer antler or something, but other than firm stool, is there any other danger to his system that may come from too much antler? Cause if he’s going at the same rate, he may be done with this one by the middle of the month, so I don’t know if I should give him the next one then, or hide this one for a while and reintroduce later?

#59192 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Just in case, I would take it away for a few days. It could give him diarrhea or constipation, either one. Some antlers are softer than others, but WOW!

#59193 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

BTW – very adorable picture of Bruno!!! 😉

#59218 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BC Nut, thanks! I will take it away till the weekend or so, he won’t be a happy puppy though… But I think it may just make his stool firm, not give him diarrhea. Either way – wow, right? This must be the softest antler I’ve ever come across!

And Bobby dog, thank you! He was so sleepy in that picture, looking like a little angel! LoL.

#59248 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut… This must have been a defective antler or something, cause it is down to 1/2 inch, I kid you not; mostly Bruno ate it, but I think Casey (the roommate’s dog) had a wee bit too. Well, it is over and out. I still can’t believe it took but 24 hours for its demise…

#59251 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

That deer had a mineral deficiency or something.

#59252 Report Abuse
    Naturella

BCnut, probably so… Oh well. I will wait a few days before I give Bru his next antler, maybe I will give it next week, and hope it is not from the same buck… It doesn’t look like it though, so yeah… Thanks for all the help and advice, as always! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.