Am I getting it right ?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Am I getting it right ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dave H

Hi and thanks in advance to those who help.
    A couple of weeks ago I got a Jack Russell girl approx 2 to 3 years old from a rescue home, she is not yet spayed but wiil be soon. She weighed 6 kg and was very boney. I fed her for a week on commercial dog food but then read a horriffic article about what goes in it and the adverse effect it can have on their health so I decided to cook her fresh food everyday. She is now 7kg and looks so much better so I guess this is about the weight she needs to remain. I walk her 3 to 4 times a day and she does quite a bit of fast running during this time, I would say she does about 3 or 4 miles a day. I would like to know if the following daily feed is ok. It fills a bowl 6inches in diameter by an inch in depth which she has 2 of each day. 500g lean meat or fish blended with something like carrot, swede, broccolli and then either brown rice or potato with skin on I add 200mg calcium and a teaspoon of olive oil, she also has some lactose free milk and of course freshwater.
    She is now very alert and has boundless energy !
    Many thanks , Dave

#38438 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Dave –

Glad to hear your girl is doing better!

It’s great that you’re feeding homemade food! 🙂 In my opinion, feeding a homemade diet is the best thing anyone can do for their pet’s health.

I’d recommend checkout out the book “Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet” by Steve Brown and, in the meantime, considering a pre-mix. Some of my favorites are See Spot Live Longer Dinner Mix, The Honest Kitchen’s Preference and Urban Wolf.

#38451 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Dave, it’s amazing what you’re doing for her! I find exercise to be just as important as nutrition. Keep up the good work! For extra healthy stimulation, try starting some fun trick-training, obedience, and maybe even agility. One of my dogs gets a kick out of his agility. Makes him crazy-happy!

I’ll agree with HDM on those resources about home made food.

#38518 Report Abuse
    Dave H

Thank you both,
    when I went to the rescue home it was a wet n windy day and all the dogs were in outside accomodation.
    They all jumped at the mesh barking and yapping but she lay curled up shivering , as I approached she looked up at me and slowly came to the bars just wagging her tail. I just could not leave her there. I work as a handyman, self employed and she comes to work with me everyday and sleeps on our bed at night. I realise that she cannot make decisions for herself about what she eats etc. and that she is totally dependant on me and my wife to give her the best care that we can, so I don’t see that what I am doing is amazing I’m just doing what any dad would do for his child, because at the end of the day that’s what she is, but thank you for the compliment. We live on a boat and on Sunday she is off for her first sail up the canal to the pub !
    I would love to put her picture on when my name comes up but cannot for the life of me work out how to do it !

#38522 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Go to gravatar dot com and create an avatar and it will do the rest.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.