🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Oliver V

Hi everyone! I’d appreciate your thoughts on alternating dehydrated food (The Honest Kitchen Beef Recipe) with a homemade nutritionally balanced raw diet.

I have a chihuahua/tibetan spaniel mix that’s 8 month-old and 10 pounds. I rescued him 3 months ago and started out feeding him Taste of the Wild dry food. He was getting cheap/unhealthy supermarket kibble at the shelter. A few weeks ago I switched him over to The Honest Kitchen’s beef dehydrated food realizing it is more species appropriate than kibble and just as convenient. That said, I still think a homemade nutritionally balanced raw diet is the optimal option, but I want my dog to adapt to more than one form of food and make it more manageable from a time investment perspective as feeding raw one meal per day would allow the supply to last much longer.

Any thoughts? Is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance!

#95642 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

If your dog doesn’t have any digestive issues, rotating forms of food should not be an issue. Finding foods/recipes that are nutritionally complete will be the challenge.

#95729 Report Abuse
    Oliver V

Thank you! I am using the following recipe:

1lbs 93% lean ground beef (alternating ground turkey/chicken as well)
    2 tsp hemp seed oil
    1/2 cod liver oil
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp kelp
    1 egg (with shell)
    1 ounce beef liver
    1 ounce broccoli
    1 ounce red bell pepper
    1 ounce spinach

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.