Adopting a Jack Russell Rescue Dog

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Treats Adopting a Jack Russell Rescue Dog

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    debra m

Many conscientious pet owners these days are aware of the problem of dog overpopulation. Because of irresponsible breeders and owners of millions of dogs all over the world and put down every year in animal shelters and veterinary clinics for no other reason than the fact that they have a loving home to go to. The simple fact is that there are more dogs in the world of loving pet owners.

Jack Russell Terriers (JRTs) are particularly likely to achieve this goal. They are small and very cute, and a lot of people mistakenly think that would make a good dog for young children. Either that or they do not provide for the needs of the exercise you need this kind of great activity. What these people do not realize that I was born makes Jack Russell to hunt. This is a lively dog is very active, and often do not get along with other pets such as cats, unless properly socialized at an early age.

Because of these factors, there are now many JRTs in shelters and rescue organizations Jack Russell worldwide. If you are interested in helping to save one of these puppies a little courage from a terrible fate by offering a loving home and this is what you need to know about the adoption of the Jack Russell.

1. Consider the age of the dog you adopt. Requirements for the care of a puppy are very different from that of an adult dog or aging. Also, remember that Jack Russell can live for more than 15 years.

2. Generally adopt much cheaper than buying a new puppy.

3. Make sure you check out any health problems that may be present in the dog. Rescuers are usually voluntary, and will be very honest with you on this issue; unlike some dog breeders should you do with the money.

4. Try to get an idea of the life that the dog has had up to this point. If your dog has been subjected to severe ill-treatment and abuse socially, you may need to be prepared for rough ride in terms of training, poor behavior that has accumulated over time. But remember that any dog ever lost cause – “If problems” that may be the only person with the heart and patience to adopt

5. To find a dog to adopt, you can try to contact the local clubs Jack Russell, educators, veterinarians, or contact the club rescue Jack Russell directly by finding them in the phone book or online.

6. Remember are usually neutered dogs rescue and micro chipped when adopted. There are two good things. Chip means that if lost or stolen your dog to have a good chance to recover. The fact that these dogs are neutered and also mean they will not contribute to the problem of overpopulation. If you have plans to breed and then adopt the dog is not true for you, but you should not play unless you have looked into the matter and the race itself and get advice from other educators with experience to guide through. It should only be Reproduction of commitment to the maintenance and improvement of the breed.

7. If you already have a dog, consider a rescue dog cannot get along with him. Not socially many rescue dogs well with other animals. With some dogs, but this will not be a problem. Most rescue organizations allow Jack Russell dog to have a trial period to see how the dog fits your home.

8. Do not be surprised if the organization wants to rescue someone was to ask a lot of questions and check his house. These people are Jack Russell Ecuador passionate and want to ensure that these animals will not end up back in a shelter or rescue center of the city, which are often very selective about who they will allow to adopt their dogs. Do not be offended by this, because it is a common practice.

#63758 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

No idea why this is in the dog treats forum but I will address a few issues. It’s possible I am reading this wrong because a lot of it makes no sense, at least to me. I don’t know if you aren’t English or what.

* IF you are saying it is only irresponsible breeders, you are partially wrong, it’s also irresponsible owners. I assume you mean that dogs don’t have a loving home to go to.

* where did you see data that jrt’s are more apt to be put down than any other dog? I would challenge that. I’d guess that pitbull terriers more so than jrt’s.

* you’re correct, some rescuers & some breeders are honest. Unfortunately, a lot are not. As you said, dog rescue is voluntary & some are just out for the money. “Any dog ever lost cause”….what?

* microchips are good but only if the owner pays the money to register the chip.

* breed….adopt a dog true to you…play……race…what in the heck are you trying to say? No one should adopt a dog then breed it. It’s extremly doubtful you’d find a dog of breeding parentage at a rescue. Possibly from a breeder but if a dog is good enough to breed, I doubt it would be up for adoption.

#63760 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I agree with you Marie.

Much of what I can understand of this post, I do not agree with.

I adopted at 7 month old JRT from a local shelter 5 yrs ago. BEST thing I ever did. No I didn’t read up on them before adopting. NO I wasn’t prepared for the energetic, hyper, high-strung little buggar that he was/is. One ADJUSTS to their new addition, and help them adjust to you. It’s a transition for you BOTH. I did find that training our JRT was much more difficult than any other dog I’ve ever had, and I’ve had plenty of different breeds and mutts. BUT, he was and is well worth the work I’ve invested in him. Yes he is still high-strung and stubborn – always will be, that’s the breed.
    But he’s my baby and I love him to pieces. I would gladly adopt another Jack Russell.

I also disagree that JRT’s are euthanized more than any other breed. That’s ridiculous. I’d like to see where you got those statistics from.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Peggy.
    #63765 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

This is either someone from Ecuador who used Google Translate or it’s a spambot. Maybe they have more JRTs in Ecuador and no Pitbulls. Here, 9 out of 10 dogs in the shelter are Pits, and our shelter just recently rescinded their policy of not adopting out Pits, so until recently 90% of the dogs put down here were Pits. The statistics may or may not have change a little by now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.