Added protein from high-value training rewards

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Added protein from high-value training rewards

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    michael s

I’m researching the proper food for a large-breed puppy (GSD) and I don’t want protein contributing any more than it should to her growth during the first 2 years. Yet I imagine she’ll be getting a lot of protein from high-value treats during training (eg, freeze-dried liver). My question is about how to best compensate for this extra protein?

I do realize kibble can also be used for training–should I simply minimize the use of high-value training treats and not worry about the extra protein in an occasional liver treaT?

TIA 🙂

#76010 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    #76011 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Kibble will only get you so far in training, you definitely want some value. Protein isn’t really the issue when it comes to LGP, its kind of old research. If you go to the canine nutrition forums, there is an excellent thread on this very topic, if you read the first few pages of links, Hound Dog Mom has done excellent in getting some really current research in there (she has Bloodhounds). Page 35 or so has a list of acceptable LGP foods, and it’s really more about the calcium

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by aquariangt.
    #76017 Report Abuse
    michael s

Thanks aquariagt… This canine nutrition forum is terrible with respect to searching. I’ll try to find the thread manually and leave a comment there if I have questions.

I happen to be reading Linda Case’s “Dog Food Logic” this week, which is up to date. I know what you mean about skeptvet, but strangely enough he recommends the book. Patricia McConnell also recommends it. The book’s recommendation for LGP is only 300-350 cal/cup, and she does say it’s more about calories and calcium, but I’m finding it difficult (so far) to find so few calories in a puppy food …

… The research continues …

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by michael s. Reason: Spelling
    #76020 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Yes, the forums are rough for searching-not to mention I apparently lied and it’s in Diet and Health :), here’s a link:
    /forums/topic/large-and-giant-breed-puppy-nutrition/

I did go back and read skeptvet link, and that’s why I edited, because for once I actually agree with him in that topic

as far as kcals per cup-the only thing that tells us is how much is in it 🙂 you feed less of a higher calorie more nutrient dense food, so you really want to look more for calcium ratios per calorie. Like I said, read some of those links-though it sounds like your research is going well- and hit up the page of LGP approved foods because that will give you a fantastic starting point. My one word of warning is HDM is quite busy (she actually helps with this site now) so it hasn’t been updated in a bit, so if it were me (I have small dogs these days) I would look up some foods, and verify the #s myself, as formulas change

#76024 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

HDM is getting ready to start vet school and rarely has time anymore, but when she is on, she hands out pearls of wisdom freely.

Keep your dog lean until full grown. Puppy fat is VERY bad. And don’t worry about protein except as many protein sources also bring added calcium. Lean boneless meats are best. You can slice them thin and cook them on low heat for hours or get a dehydrator and make your own jerky. Then cut it into very small pieces, only a pinch will do. I devide mine up into what I consider a serving size and put them in snack size ziplocks and store in the freeze, so all I have to do is grab a ziplock out of the freezer and go.

#76053 Report Abuse
    michael s

Thanks again …

Good point about calorie/nutrient dense recipes. Relative to #s like 2.5g Ca per 1000kcal, is it possible to determine the pup’s daily portion? For example, if the pup weighs 25lb, can a daily portion be determined on the basis of feeding the pup based on so many calories (kcal) per pound per day? From Linda Case, I haven’t yet read on what basis daily portions are determined(?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.