🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chloe K

Hi there! I have a 12 week old German Shepherd boy and we just started a week ago on raw – We are currently feeding him a premade diet which is costing me a fortune so I would like to look into creating my own meal for him.

So far I’ve learned:

“2.5% of Bears weight (40kg) 1kg

45% Raw Meaty Bones – 450g
    45% Muscle Meat – 450g
    5% Organ Meat – – 50g

Your goal is to have no more than 20-25% actual bone in the diet.
    25% of 450g is 112g”

This is what I have written down, I would like to feed him 2 meals a day when he is older, so that is 25g of offal per meal? Is that right? That seems like such a low amount?

Can I feed raw chicken and raw beef in the same meal?

Can I feed him say 125g of Turkey and 125g of Chicken for one meal, with 25g of beef liver? Is this okay? Should I do this?
    How often should I really feed him fish? Twice a week? I think I would like to feed him a whole fish? Gilapia or Whiting Fillets are these a good choice? If not, what are some good choices? I’m trying my hardest to find Green Tripe in Australia but it’s proving difficult, I would like to add some veggies in his diet, which are the BEST? How often should I add them? I know I have to juice/blend them or else he won’t get the full benefit.

I am from Australia so I weigh things in grams and kgs
    Is Kangaroo a good source of meat also? What about Kangaroo heart and liver?

Bear is going to puppy school today! I can say he will be the most handsome there

Here is a picture of my little guy 🙂

#72895 Report Abuse
    Anonymous

http://www.homeovet.net/dynamic/php/downloads/dog-c8470f2c75dbe4b683205c3919ee2310/dog_diet_complete.pdf
    (link for a homemade diet)

He is adorable!

Consider what the homeopathic vets have to say http://www.vitalanimal.com
    Check out the blogs, etc.
    Best of luck

#72896 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Chloe K-
    For sure he will be the most handsome boy at puppy school! Another thing that you will want to consider is the extremely important appropriate calcium levels for a large breed puppy. There is an article about it on the review side of this site. Have you checked it out?

I don’t want to “squash” your hopes of feeding him raw, as I know it can be the healthiest way to go. But, I’d be nervous about getting the calcium part right to keep the handsome little guys joints as healthy as possible.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.