šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Samantha P

Hi,

I have a 6 month old Lab/Australian Cattle Dog mix. She consistently turns her nose up at dry dog food and will get bored of a new dog food after 2-3 meals. I initially had her on Royal Canin Maxi Puppy (the large bag was given to me when i first got her), and then she got bored of it after about the 2nd bag of it. I wanted to move her onto a better food anyway so i got her Wellness Core which she liked for a day or two. Now, I’ve just gotten the Blue Buffalo Wilderness (the one with the baby wolf on the front) and she thoroughly enjoyed it the first 2 times she had it and now she seems over it. I want to try the tough love approach with her but I feel bad (go figure aha!). When I just tried feeding her lunch she wasn’t having it so I took the food away and will try again at dinner. I know that if she was given something (like table food) she’d eat it with no issue! Her energy levels are still great, stool is firm and doesn’t seem to have any sores etc in her mouth.

I’ve tried high grade, low sodium chicken stock when she was eating the Wellness Core which would work 75% of the time, but I’d rather not have her reliant on that.

Any other suggestions? I’m pretty open to anything.

Thanks!

#94319 Report Abuse
    anonymous

I always add a tablespoon of something/protein, scrambled egg, cooked chopped up chicken breast, sandwich steak and a splash of water or plain chicken broth. Two feedings per day, measured amounts, pick up after 10 minutes if not consumed, store in the fridg and offer at the next mealtime. Even the best kibble is not enough on it’s own (imo)
    I always add water to the kibble because some dogs just don’t drink enough water and that can result in problems, such as bladder stones down the road.
    I stick with Nutrisca kibble (salmon and chickpea) as a base, I have had good results over 5 years.

#94320 Report Abuse
    Samantha P

I’ll always take the bowl away after about 10 minutes or so.

I like the idea of adding a little something extra as well. I had a dog for 15 years (much smaller breed) who lived an extremely healthy life off of home cooked food. I just don’t want there to come a day where I might have to board her for 2-3 days and then she doesn’t eat, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!

#94321 Report Abuse
    anonymous

When you have to board her, you can give the kennel a small container of cooked food and instruct them to add a little to her kibble which you also can provide, my neighbor does this, with good results.
    PS: If they fast or eat light for a day or two at the kennel, it will be okay.
    I might start to worry at 72 hours (3 days) if they are not at least drinking water. At that point, I would want a veterinarian to look at the dog.

#94322 Report Abuse
    Samantha P

Yeah that seems like a good idea. Water never seems to be an issue with her, aha, she loves it.

Thanks so much for your help!

#94324 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Samantha-

I went through the same thing when my pittie was a pup. I used to always have to doctor his food with canned etc. From working in the pet retail industry a lot of consumers have mentioned to me that Wellness CORE is not very palatable and from my own personal experience, Wilderness didn’t seem to be either. My pit never did well on grain free foods and never enjoyed eating them. Maybe try the grain inclusive version of Wellness Complete Health? I think most folks here will tell you that as a company, Wellness is far better than Blue.

I now feed all my pets Pro Plan and it’s the first food they all get very excited over and has given me the results I was looking for in their health. Been on it for a year now.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

#98716 Report Abuse
    Althea J

I have a six month old Keeshond and I supplement whatever kibble she likes or I have at the moment with Freshpet puppy food, scrambled egg ( I use olive oil to cook it) a bit of chicken, lamb, beef ( whatever I have handy) low sodium chicken stock (make sure it has no onion) she also likes a bit of ricotta or goat cheese added to kibble (I tried plain yogurt she did not care for it) a sprinkle of hard cheese, a bit of canned salmon or a cooked sweet potato cut into pieces. So far so good. She is teething right now so she loves ice cubes or a piece of frozen broccoli or carrot. I try to vary what I add to her kibble! I read that olive oil is good for their coats and I use this anyway to cook our food. She likes an occasional piece of apple as a treat as well. I do use bully sticks for chewing pleasure for her. Some days she eats more some days less. I try not to worry too much. Hope that helps🐶

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.