🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Peggy

I was at the pet store this afternoon to get Tebow a few toys and came across these treats.

#1 – Nature’s Recipe Pure Essentials Limited Ingredient Treats.
    Salmon and Potato recipe
    Ingredients: Whole wheat, salmon, salmon meal, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), molasses, potato flour, sweet potato, natural flavor, sugar, citric acid (used as a preservative), rosemary extract

Note: I’m not real happy that Salmon is not the first ingredient.

#2 – Americal Kennel Club (AKC) Natural Dog Treats, Made with real chicken
    Ingredients: Chicken, Pea Flour, Water sufficient for processing, Glycerin, Barley Flour, Barley, Rice, Oat Flour, Gelatin, Pea Fiber, Chicken Cartilage, Salmon Oil, Brewers Yeast, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Natural Smoke Flavor, Lecithin, Minerals (Zinc Propionate, Calcium Propionate), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Acai Berry, Pomegranate Extract, Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, Natural Flavor.

#3 – Newman’s Own Cheese Flavor Natural and Organic Dog Treats
    Ingredients: Cheese: Organic Barley Flour, Ground Chicken, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Rolled Oats, Chicken Fat (Preserved Naturally with Mixed Tocopherols and Lecithin), Natural Cheddar Cheese Powder, Rosemary Extract.

Opinions please?

#64565 Report Abuse
    Dog_Obsessed

1. Also not thrilled that salmon isn’t the first ingredient, but they don’t look too bad. I wouldn’t feed too many but they would be okay.

2. Personally, I like to avoid treats with unspecified glycerin. Here’s more about that: /dog-food-news/chinese-dog-treats-glycerin/ From what I understand, vegetable or other specific glycerin is fine, just the generic ingredient could be an issue, especially if it isn’t USA made.

3. These don’t look too bad, as long as your dogs have no issue with the cheese.

I would wait for other people’s opinions too, but there’s a start. 😀

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dog_Obsessed.
    #64573 Report Abuse

The important thing to remember is that the bag may say made in the USA but the ingredients could be sourced from China. I would never feed any treat made by the American Kennel Club. They are on this list. The Natures Recipe has too much sugar in them. Most of your better treats are found at the small independant pet stores. Not something i would feed anyway. Hope this helps!

http://www.treshanley.com/NewCC/Food/page80/page80.html

#64576 Report Abuse

I feed the Nature’s Variety Instinct treats. PetSmart does sell them now. My girls also love Crumps Sweet Potato Chews. I get them at my local pet store and nothing sourced from China.

http://www.crumps.ca/

#64582 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I only use grainfree treats so none of those work for me. I take as much care choosing treats as I do dog food. The treats we use here are some made by Buddy Biscuits, The Honest Kitchen and SoJo’s. Treats go stale here anyway so we don’t have much here.

#64583 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’m not thrilled with those lists either. Pet smart or petco it looks like? Try something made by cloudstar or zukes. Simply nourish at pet smart has some freeze dried liver that would be good and of high value as well.

With treats I like really low calorie, but high value so meat heavy to only meat, that way you can use them to train without too much of a health impact

#64584 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Peggy:
    IMO you can find good and bad dog treats in any store. I have come across some really cute packaged treats at the boutique stores I shop with ingredients that I don’t need in my food let alone my dog. One of the reasons I make my own. As Marie wrote you need to take as much care choosing treats as you do your dog food.

I don’t like any treats with sugar or molasses, but out of the two I would rather see molasses and for it to be towards the end of the ingredient list. I also like minimal ingredients. If you have to take more than 15 seconds to read the ingredients it’s too many for me. Of the three listed, Newman’s looks decent.

Since you are helping your dog slim down I recommend you consider freeze dried treats or dried vegetables. You can find these type of treats at most pet stores. You can even buy freeze dried food and feed small amounts for treats. Remove some kibble from your overweight dog’s meals to compensate for the added calories from treats. If your dogs are like mine it’s more of the ritual of receiving the treat rather than the amount of the treat. Mine loves to be made over and adding a treat to the attention is just an added bonus. If you are shopping at Petsmart check out these dried veggie and freeze dried treats/dog food:
    http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/PETNA-PETUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewParametricSearch-Browse?SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3Dfreeze%2Bdried%2Bdog%26OnlineFlag%3D1%26Pets01%3DDog&PageSize=24&SearchTerm=freeze+dried+dog&_t=Pets01

http://www.petsmart.com/dog/treats-rawhide/simply-nourish-trade-natural-grain-and-wheat-free-dog-chips-zid36-4716/cat-36-catid-100007?_t=pfm%3Dcategory%26pfmvalue%3Dfaceted

If you are shopping at Wal-Mart they have a few healthy selections as well. Can’t remember the brands I saw last time I was there, but here is one:
    http://rileysorganics.com/

#64588 Report Abuse
    Peggy

I hear y’all. Thanks for the honest opinions. I’m going to stick with Pure Balance’s two treats.
    Duck & Sweet Potato recipe, and Crunchy Caramel Apple recipe.

#64589 Report Abuse
    Peggy

Thanks Bobby_dog I’ll look at that one too.

I don’t feed them treats often, not even every day. But when I do, I want it to be as healthy as the food they’re getting and something they really enjoy. Why bother with a treat at all, otherwise.

#64591 Report Abuse

Bobby Dog, It’s the same with my girls. It’s the ritual, lol! I break my treats in half. They don’t know the difference, lol. I would like to get some freeze dried treats, but aren’t they very high in fat? I’m trying to slim Molly down a few pounds.

#64596 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

HMM:
    If you are looking at freeze dried food, yes some of them are very high in fat. Most brands only have a few recipes that I would feed due to the fat content. Fat, good or bad, is higher in calories than protein; I want most of his calories to be from protein.

There are allot of other FD treats on the market with nice protein/fat ratios, I just don’t buy that many because I make his treats; he likes his homemade meatballs the best! With small treats I am not too concerned with the fat because I don’t feed that much. Here’s a few that might fit your needs.

Bobby really likes Stella & Chewy’s Carnivore Kisses:
    http://www.stellaandchewys.com/dog-kisses.php

He also likes these:
    http://stewartpet.com/our-products/treats/pro-treat-freeze-dried-treats/

#64598 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

You’re welcome Peggy. IDK, if treats for dogs are anything like the treats I like for myself I always like the bad ones better! lol

If you try the freeze dried treats I think you and the dogs will be happy with them. Even dried fruit or veggies should be satisfying for them.

#64599 Report Abuse

Thanks Bobby Dog! I’m going to try the Stella&Chewys. I have seen them at my local pet store.

#64600 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Just jumping in quickly here. Did you happen to see this thread: /forums/topic/your-most-recommended-dog-treats/

You might find some good recommendations here also.

#64603 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

You’re welcome HMM! Another way to find a good FD treat is to look at the well rated FD foods on DFA and checking out those brands’ websites. I think there are a few FD treats listed in the thread DF posted too.

#64607 Report Abuse
    Peggy

HMM that’s my goal too, is to slim Tebow down a few lbs. probably around 8 lbs.
    It seems our snow is determined to stick around for a while. 2″ just since 7 am this morning and still falling. ugh.

#64614 Report Abuse

Peggy, It’s snowing here today as well! We are expecting a few inches so i think im going to have to pass on Molly’s daily walk. Even though it’s been cold here i have increased her walk time. She loves to run on the leash with me.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.