2 dogs 2 different sizes

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition 2 dogs 2 different sizes

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Chris R

Hi,
    I’m wondering what to feed. I have a large and small dog. The large is over a year and the small is 11 weeks old. I have them both eating Authority GF puppy food and before that they were on a mixture of Eukanuba Growth and Purina Puppy. Looking for a good gf food for them both to eat. I was looking at the 4health gf today but don’t know if it’s okay for the puppy.

Thanks.

#54898 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

As long as the food is Puppy food or All Life Stages food, and is a small enough kibble for the little one, it’s fine for both.

Nature’s Logic, Nature’s Variety, Brother’s Complete, Victor, all have small kibbles. Earthborn has larger kibble, but it’s very thin so small dogs can handle it.

Others will have loads of ideas for you. They(I) will want to know what kind of puppy it is, and if you will post pictures of the two of them together. Hint, hint.

#54902 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

Subtle, BCNut, Subtle

#54904 Report Abuse
    Chris R

If I can figure out how to post a picture I will. Lol

#54905 Report Abuse
    Chris R

Ah ha! Got it as a profile pic. I have a better one somewhere. The big boy is Tucker and the little guy is Robin.

#54913 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Very cute!! You definitely need small kibble for a while.

#54914 Report Abuse
    Chris R

Almost forgot! Tucker is a pitbull/golden lab/terrier and Robin is a bichon frise/shih tzu.

#54926 Report Abuse
    Naturella

How cute they are! I would second BCnut’s recommendation on Victor and Earthborn Holistic. My little guy is 14.5 lbs now but even when he was smaller (8-10 months though, not 11 weeks) he was able to handle Dr. Tim’s, Holistic Health Extension, Now! Fresh, and the aforementioned two. He also did very well on Blue Buffalo Wilderness although it is not a very favored brand around here, plus it is quite pricy and you can do much better with good food for less cash.

I also second finding a good puppy or All Life Stages food from some of the brands you got as recommendations. This way both your pups can eat the same great food. 🙂

But do look into diet rotation, it is very good for them too – changing the protein types and the brands.

#54933 Report Abuse
    Chris R

Thanks for the recommendations! Did some searching and they are all out of the husbands price range. 🙁 He wants to feed old roy, gravy train, twin pet, etc so I’ve at least have him ok with Authority so something in that price range would be good.

#54934 Report Abuse
    Chris R

According to this site the authority grain free has 4 stars and they have a mini chunk one. Is that good?

#54935 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Way, way better than Ol’ Roy, Gravy Train, etc. And the size should be fine for both pups. If you have a Walmart, they have Pure Balance and Rachel Ray Zero Grain that may fit the bill.

#54936 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Nutrisource grain free Lamb is the smallest grain free kibble size, then the other grain free flavors were larger, rounder and flatter. I’m using Sammy Snacks grain free right now and I would consider it small. I’m feeding pugs and a bulldog right now and the bulldog isn’t having problems with the small size.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #54942 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

If you’re ok with Diamond, what about 4health or the Costco stuff?

#54944 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi Chris:
    All good recommendations for your dogs! I have a certain budget I have to follow for pet food too; here are some of the things that help me keep the cost down.

Here is a link, posted by Akari a regular DFA poster, for a $5 coupon from Petsmart good for any size Authority and several other kibbles. This link is also posted on page 15 of the coupon thread. The coupon is always valid, the date changes each time you access it:
    http://pages.email-petsmart.com/coupons2014?g=6e33a451-2f8c-401b-b420-888b86bf1199&ab=foodcenter_coupon_dog

Think about rotation feeding for your dogs. Many regulars feed a rotation diet; I believe it is the healthiest way to feed your pets. The added benefit for the owner is if you find a good price on food you can take advantage of the savings because you already know your dog does well eating it.
    Rotation feeding info:
    /frequently-asked-questions/diet-rotation-for-dogs/

Sign up for e-mails from Petsmart, Petco, or any other place you would purchase dog food so you can receive alerts for sales and coupons. Also, sign up for e-mails from pet food companies. Some send coupons or other promotional deals through e-mail and look into frequent buyer programs too; Nutrisource is one company that has a frequent buyer program through retailers, buy 12 bags and the 13th is free. Some offer frequent buyer programs directly through them such as by Nature or EVO. Wellness offers coupons for kibble and canned food monthly through e-mail when you sign up for their newsletter. You could stack the Wellness coupon with the Petsmart coupon for additional savings.

Check out the coupon thread Akari started. It is a place to post info on coupons, sales, or other pet food promos that DFA posters find. Post questions if you have them too, Akari pops in to answer them.
    Page one is the intro of the coupon thread:
    /forums/topic/coupons/
    Current page of coupon thread:
    /forums/topic/coupons/page/15/

As BC posted you can find Rachael Ray Zero Grain Free at Wal-Mart. On her website she offers coupons for pet food (under news & offers tab). Most of the time there is a $4 coupon for any size of the Zero Grain: http://nutrish.rachaelray.com/switchto

Here are some recommendations for dog food sold at Wal-Mart:
    /forums/topic/need-advice-about-walmart-brands/

You mentioned Tractor Supply Company 4Health brand; I feed the canned dog & cat food and I have fed the beef GF. The canned food is labeled for growth and maintenance, not sure about the kibble. The only kibble in that line I would recommend are the Beef or Turkey grain free (and the GF cat food if you have cats). Diamond manufactures all of the other kibble varieties and due to their recall history I choose not to feed anything they make; depends on your comfort level. Good luck with your pups!

#54945 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

If you make in through Bobby Dogs book there (LOL), I would also like to add that I feed my three 11, 60, and 130 pound dogs and a cat (and finned and scaled critters) on about $40 a month on Wellness, Nutro, Pro Plan, Authority and whatever else I can get my hands on. It’s challenging, but it’s fun to search out deals and coupons. Definitely check out my coupon thread posted above, and learn how to use and stack coupons to get the best deals. I’ve been getting dry Wellness for the dogs for free for about a month now, and I’ve stocked up to have several months of it in the even I can’t find any good deals on other brands. Use them coupons! Your wallet will thank you 😉

#54946 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Just the person to talk to about finding deals! 😉

#54948 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

My ears were ringing :p

#55001 Report Abuse
    Chris R

Thank you everyone! I printed the petsmart coupons for $5 off Authority, Specialty food, and Simply Nourish. I saw in the circular that they are all on sale anyway so that’ll be a fun trip tonight.

The Authority one will help since that’s what I feed the cats. Win/win for the critters!!

#55004 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

🙂 And you can keep your hubby happy! Have fun shopping tonight!!!\

Remember, that Petsmart coupon is good for other brands of dog and cat food as well. So when they go on sale you can use it for those listed on that coupon as well; or try a new brand any time. 🙂

• This reply was modified 9 years, 5 months ago by Bobby dog.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.