14 week presa canario…soft poo & diarrhea

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition 14 week presa canario…soft poo & diarrhea

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Gregory W

I have a puppy that does not behave sickly, but has had soft/runny poop for almost 3weeks. I took him to the vet, a few times and we’ve changed his food (from blue buffalo large puppy), to Purina Pro HA…which requires a prescription and 3 bags in, has done nothing. Besides a new vet (which will be Monday), could someone please recommend a better food? I do not like the ingredients or reviews of the Purina that the vet put him on.

#94448 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Gregory-

Constantly switching your Presa’s food may not be the answer as it may not be related to food. If he has not been tested for parasites like Giardia and Coccidia, that needs to be done. This is one of the most common reasons for diarrhea in young puppies.

#94450 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

Hello and thank you for the reply. He’s been tested for both and parvovirus. He was fine on blue buffalo for about 10 weeks and then he developed this issue.

His tests were negative but they put him on antibiotics anyway. He’s had a series of deworming too. At this point, it’s either some uncommon condition or he developed a sensitivity to certain foods… the one constant from the food is chicken. I was considering a fish or meat diet as an attempt to make him feel better or at least absolve chicken as the cause (or confirm it).

I really don’t know what to do right now.

#94451 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

It is highly unlikely that at just 14 weeks old your pup has already developed some type of food sensitivity.

All I can suggest is when you go to the new vet give a detailed time line of everything that has happened since you’ve gotten him. I would also contact your breeder and inquire as to if any other people who own your boys litter mates are experiencing anything similar. Changing his food too much right now will likely only cause further problems.

Edit: Also how old was he when you got him?

#94519 Report Abuse
    momofGSDs

I would definitely get him off the Purina. And I do agree that changing his food to much will not help. Also you can’t just change the food, you need to do it gradually. I also wanted to say that there is no need for the so called Large breed puppy food. I have GSDs who are weaned on Adult. They are fed Raw but also get Kibble/canned. You can feed your pup life stages. But watch the protein as it should be under 25%.

#94521 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

He was 8 weeks when I got him. The breeder fed him blue buffalo and had no issues. He was eating with 8 other pups, and they have no issues that I know about. That same food did not work for him here after about 2 weeks, that coincided with a trip to Petco (I thought it would be good to socialize him a bit while getting him some food and toys).

Besides some hunger aggression, he’s a very well behaved dog. Endlessly friendly and an incredible companion. From what I’ve read here and chewy, I am going to ask the vet about Fromm and Victor dog foods. If it’ll help, I would feed him boiled chicken and rice. Really, anything that helps him out.

#94524 Report Abuse
    Martha O

High protein is NOT a problem for a large breed puppy–in fact, puppies need at least 30% protein. Large breed puppies need controlled feeding to avoid becoming overweight and specific calcium levels. The advice about high protein and large breed puppies is outdated.
    My puppy has soft stools, not diarrhea. This has been true for him even though he is now 7 months old and has slowly been tried on 3 different large breed puppy foods. Strangely his morning stools are fine, but during the day and during exercise his stools are soft. He has no medical problems.

#94525 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

https://www.chewy.com/fromm-gold-holistic-large-breed/dp/32624

Is what the Vet and I settled on today. Weening 25% every 48 hours. I am optimistic about the food and Achilles absolutely loves his new Vet. His tail wagged for 45 minutes!

#94563 Report Abuse
    momofGSDs

High protein IS an issue. And this is why the protein should NOT be more then 25%. It is far from outdated. I have owned dogs for 35 years, I know all about what is needed.

Gregory fromm is a great food, but just so you know this Large breed or even breed specific foods is not needed. It’s just a sales gimimic.

#94573 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi momofGSDs-

Unfortunately the protein myth is just that and there is 20 years of up to date research to back this up. Large breed puppy formulas are absolutely not a gimmic and are formulated far better and properly now than when you first got into dogs. It is often those who have been into large breeds for the longest that have the least correct info. Science is always changing and there is always more to learn, even about something “you know everything about”.

#94577 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

My vet did specifically state to make sure it was a large breed puppy food. Don’t just get any Fromm food, etc. That would lead me to believe that there is some benefit to that type of food. I appreciate all of the help and advice. I’ll let everyone know how my puppy does on this new food in a few days.

Thank you all for the help..and for caring enough to reply.

#94581 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Gregory-

It is nice to see that your vet has been keeping up with current research on LBP nutrition. A lot are still set in their old ways from 30-40 years ago.

Best of luck with Fromm. I agree it is a great company. If you can figure out how to post pics post some of your Presa pup, I love that breed!

#94582 Report Abuse
    amy r

I use fromm gold large Breed puppy for my newfoundland it has been fantastic and she loves it. I also use a rotation of canned food and fish. I would definitely take him of purina you said your vet put him on an antibiotic and wormed him both of those things can cause loose stool. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the gut as well as the bad you can add a probiotic to his food and some all natural pumpkin for the next week or so if his stool is still loose. Good luck with fromm the LBP has an excellent rating the LBA has an ok rating although I am not sure why.

#94583 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

I don’t know how to post pictures here…if someone can let me know, I’ll put a few up here.

#94736 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

New Vet found coccidia. He’s actually in the hospital today, with a fever and possible bowel obstruction. I can’t even express how angry I am at the former vet or how horrible I feel for my best little buddy.

Part of the reason I changed vets was the feedback from here. To pitluv and Amy and momofgsd’s, I am grateful. Thank you.

#94744 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi Gregory-

Happy to hear there was a clear diagnosis now and you can begin treatment. Don’t be too upset with the last vet, human error does occur and sometimes it’s best to get a second opinion. It once took three doctors to figure out I had a UTI. Two wrote my pain off as back spasms. The third doctor was smart enough to run a urinalysis.

Hope your baby starts feeling better soon!

#95355 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

I’m happy to be able to say that my puppy (Achilles), is healthy, happy and completely over all of these problems. He’s also finally legal! He has all his shots and is doing great (other than the fact that he has to get a job now – being legal is hard!).

#95360 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hooray! My pups had giardia and coccidia and then giardia again when they were pups. I had no idea what either were at the time. I switched foods then switched foods and then switched foods again. Finally got a diagnosis and started them on the meds. The coccidia cleared up right away, but not the giardia. Anyway, it is such a relief, isn’t it, when they finally get over all of it? Hallelujah! I’m very happy for you.

#96041 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

It’s a HUGE relief. He’s energetic, healthy, gaining wait..less aggressive, back in school. I think he has a girlfriend too…a little french bulldog is crazy about my mastiff. It’s hilarious….she’s 5 lbs, he’s 60 lbs. I feel like I have my puppy back! That and no more guilt about not being able to keep him healthy. I seriously felt awful that I could not do better for him.

Thanks for all the help!

#96042 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Ooooh, a little Frenchie, huh? Hee Hee! Great news, I’m happy for you.

#96068 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Thank you for the update Gregory! Glad your boy is feeling good again and has found a girlfriend!

#96069 Report Abuse
    Gregory W

I tried to tell him that they’re high maintenance, but all he did was ‘sit and look’ at me for a treat. He did bark once, and the other pups got scared and then laid down. That was funny.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.