šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Marjorie L

I have a 12 year old German Shepard/Lab mix who is allergic to wheat and chicken. We’ve been feeding him NurtoSource for a couple of years now, mixed with wet food. Up until recently he’s always been a hardy eater. But lately he’s been turning his nose up at his kibble. He’ll still eat the wet food, cooked veggie and rice, and likes to chew on toys and raw hides, so I don’t think its a lack of appetite issue or a problem with his teeth. Has anyone else run into an issue like this before? My vet doesn’t even know what to make of it.

#94661 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, have you tried another dry kibble with lower fat% & a different protein with limited ingredients, also is his kibble a fish kibble??
    My boy is 8yrs old & went off any kibbles that is fish/salmon, he seems to get acid reflux from the fish kibbles now, especially when they have fish or salmon oil, he grinds his teeth he has IBD, over the years I’ve learnt what all those weird things he does mean…..

As dogs & humans get older we don’t make as much hydrochloric acid in our stomachs, it’s called “Hypochlorhydria” low stomach acid, so it can be harder to digest food & food sits in stomach causing acid reflux…
    I would not be feeding the Raw Hide, google, “how is Raw Hide is made”, Rodney Habib has a excellent video, it will shock you.
    Can you cook a cooked diet for him, even if you buy tin tuna in spring water & add boiled sweet potato & veggies a couple days a week & the other days buy lean grounded pork or lean beef mince…. I make rissole, I add 1 whisked egg to 1kg (2lbs) lean pork mince or lean beef mince, finally cut up 1/3 to 1/2 a cup broccoli, 1 teaspoon finally cut up parsley, 1 grated carrot mix all together & make 1 cup size rissoles & bake in oven on baking tray 15 mins into baking take out drain water/fat & turn rissoles over put back in oven, I boil sweet potatoes & freeze the rissoles & sweet potatoes in sections…. When a dog stops eating something is wrong & its normally their stomach or pancreatitis… he’s telling you this kibble is no good & would prefer to go hungry then have his pain or acid reflux or have whatever he’s getting… If they could talk life would be so much easy, I would not want to be a vet, a lot of the times test results don’t show anything wrong, & its a guessing game until you work out a diet that agrees with him….

#94664 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Did your vet do any blood, urine and/or fecal tests? Which NutriSource recipe are you feeding currently? My dogs like and do well on Whole Earth Farms Pork, Beef and Lamb formula. It does not contain chicken or wheat. It must be tough seeing your old guy not eating.

I was having the same issue with my senior cat and she was prescribed an anti-nausea medicine and a steroid which helped almost instantaneously. I am currently weaning her off of them and hoping she will not have to continue it for a prolonged period.

He might be having some stomach issues or problems digesting kibble as Susan mentioned above. If you are interested in making a homemade cooked balanced diet, check out http://www.balanceit.com. It’s a great resource for homemade diets run by veterinarians.

Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.